keg with a hole in the side

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jldesign

Reaction score
I got 4 rebuilt kegs. one was some spot welding for some reason. does not look like damage just a seam 1/4 way around the bottom with some welding. the outside was polished down smooth. inside you can see the welding. I cannot figure out why or what happened to it or why they would go to the trouble to fix it like this.

anyway it is super clean but of course it has a leak in one of the welding areas. oh well I hope the place I got them from will replace and not want it back.

if I keep it what can be done with it? other than parts? It will leak I'm sure if it has liquid in it slowly but for sure leak.

any suggestions as to a use? probably use it as the line sanitizer keg so it is always available for a quick line cleaning?

Silver solder? German Silver? Nickel/____ brazing rod? I have some, just having a brain fart (among others) right now. Any how, I've been thinking of cutting down a corny to 3 gallons. It'll work on stainless, with a oxy/acetylene torch. I'l just heat from outside, apply rod to inside....

well they don't want the keg back which is pretty cool on their part and are shipping me a new one. is there anyway to patch a small pin hole with home grown tools? I'm not much of a welder but have a small torch for plumping, etc. or is it going to be a line cleaner keg? I'd rather toss it than have it go bad with beer ya know.

Cornies are so cheap these days, I'd just cut the top off and make a trash can. Not worth the trouble to repair it.

I use JB weld, never though of it for this but sure it would work - that is some tough stuff. I'm not sure I'd trust this keg as a brew keg anymore anyway so it will become a full time sanitizer keg to clean my lines.

thanks for the input

Back