Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wife on a whim picked up a 2.5 lb brisket... Not even sure what to do with it. Anyone ever smoked one so small? Would definitely add a couple racks of ribs along with it, but wondering if it would dry out too much. 250 smoker temp till 200-ish internal meat temp is what I'd normally do.

Nope, 200 is 200. Trim, Salt and pepper and cook it to 200. I don't think it would matter if you cooked it at a high heat or low heat. The difference would be how much smoke you could get into it. The lower you cook it the longer it will take, and the more smoke you can put on it. I've heard of people winning awards at BBQ competitions using high heat methods for brisket and pork butts by the way.

Didn't smoke it, but just for fun a small piece of pork shoulder cooked in the pressure in 30 minutes. I'll send some pics

Got volunteered to do a couple of butts for a company lunch on Friday, Will be doing an all nighter on Thursday night on the BGE.

I love me some well cured pastrami. I made this pastrami using the copa muscle from a full pork shoulder. I like a higher fat to my pastrami and this is far from kosher.

If you've never used pork for pastrami you should give it a try sometime. It's definitely a more flavorful type and cut than a brisket (imo). Try it out sometime.

This looks amazing.

Looking great Bama. What's your attraction to hanging and smoking? I like the idea of being able to smoke multiple whole racks like you have done.
Picked up 2 racks of baby backs today. They are rubbed down with brown sugar, paprika, kosher salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder, and chili powder and sitting overnight. They will hit the smoker tomorrow afternoon.

Thinking of firing up my old but reliable Kingsford kettle grill this weekend, set it up for a low and slow smoke, make an offering to the BBQ Gods and throw on a couple slabs of ribs or maybe a Boston Butt and do some pulled pork. Then again, I'm also getting a real hankering for some brisket. Decisions, decisions! :rockin:

Turns out it was a rump roast. Good thing I realized it and got it off at 150 int.temp. started cutting it a little early. Once it sat a while it was much better. Wish I had a slicer again. This cut super thin would make great sandwiches, I don't know what else to do with it. Any suggestions?
A final final thought I wonder how it would be if I had injected it with salt water.

View attachment 1466893772084.jpg

Not smoking meat this weekend, but hoping to get the sides on this for a BBQ blowout next weekend.

image.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByHome Brew1466985306.657750.jpg
    421.2 KB · Views: 124
  • ImageUploadedByHome Brew1466985319.187724.jpg
    401 KB · Views: 125
  • ImageUploadedByHome Brew1466985332.009422.jpg
    421.2 KB · Views: 124
Planning baby rack ribs for the weekend along with an Oktoberfest ale to test out the new BK and pump.

I just pulled all of last year's salmon out of the freezer. My girls and I will be starting the brine tonight and smoking on Thursday.

It's gonna be great, we've been out of smoke fish for a couple of months. Kiddo's need that brain food!

Smoked a chicken last night. Brined a bit too long I think, but I only ate one wing yesterday as it was pulled off the smoker at bedtime. Kind of salty (But maybe the bigger pieces of meat are not as salty.)

Spatchcocked that sucker and smoked for a couple of hours. I need a better chip box. I tried the cast iron one that came with the used smoker I bought and I don't think it gets much smoke going. Time to hit the resale shops and find an old pan or something.

Heading to CO this weekend so most likely I'll smoke something! [emoji56]
Wait we're talking meat here. Well that will happen when I get home next week. Going to do some brisket, ribs and chicken legs.

Went to the butcher today to pickup meat for the weekend celebration... (2) 17# briskets, (2) 10# pork shoulders, (4) racks of baby back ribs plus about 30 drumsticks... It's going to be quite the feast.

image.jpg

"Finished" the new smoker, been doing a test burn for the last 4 hours or so. Brisket and pork shoulder going in around 10 tonight... It's going to be a long night, but I think I've got the hang of making adjustments on it now.

image.jpg

That looks like sheets of galvanized steel like you might find in ducting.

My wife nixed the smoked trout. Says she wants to grill it instead.

So now I'm thinking about a brisket.

Doing the traditional smoked pork butt for 4th of July/FIL's B'day. The crowd will be smaller (some family members came for a visit in June and won't be here for their usual 7/4 visit) so there's gonna be some leftovers. Looking forward to:

Pulled pork veggie/garlic/ginger stir fry
Pulled pork breakfast hash
Pulled pork leftover sandwiches
And so forth!

That looks like sheets of galvanized steel like you might find in ducting.

My wife nixed the smoked trout. Says she wants to grill it instead.

So now I'm thinking about a brisket.

No, it was a file cabinet at one point.

Latest posts

Back