Weird Taste In Homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcf8088

Reaction score
So this is my second brew. First was a hoppy american ale and second was a moose drool clone from AHS. I was completely sanitary, brew day went fine, as the fermentation did. I left it in the primary on the yeast cake for a month and then racked and bottled. I waited another month before trying it and today I had my first bottle of my second brew and it has the exact same strange taste as the first batch I did. Its a bitter taste, not hoppy bitter though, just sharp bitter. Anyone may know what this is? Or what I can do to prevent it in the future?

Is it a drying bitter, like an astringent taste of a dry wine? Or is it a harsh bitter?
What type of water are you using? Very hard water can make hop bittering seem harsh.

+1

If your water is very hard and may also have chlorine, you will get a strong sharp bitter and somewhat astringent aftertaste from the hops. I had this problem for quite a few brews until I diagnosed it, it went away when I started mixing hard and RO water and pre-boiling the hard water for 5 minutes to drive off chlorine.

Hmm yes it is definitely an astringent aftertaste.

Im using my tap water which is hard water.

So I'd like to fix this problem before I waste another beer kit.

Is the general consensus is that my water is too hard thus messing with the hops causing an astringent taste in my beer? With time could the astringency condition out?

Whats the solution to those of you who have this problem? Will preboiling the water work or will I have to go with storebought drinking water?

go to the local grocery store and buy some cheap bottled "spring"water. I have very hard water and went to doing this. My brews have increased in quality 10 fold.

local grocery store and buy some cheap bottled "spring"water.

Make sure it's not RO water.

Over carbonation will case a twang also.

In the mag Brew-Your-Own there is a great article about off taste.

Astringency - A puckering or constricting sensation within the mouth
Stickiness = Sensation of tongue sticking to palate

Whats the solution to those of you who have this problem? Will preboiling the water work or will I have to go with storebought drinking water?

You can add calcium chloride and pre-boil the water, then let it sit overnight and decant off of the junk that settles out. That will precipitate out most of the bicarbonates leaving you with softer water.

I head down to the local Walmart and fill a 5gal bottle with RO water for $1.25 at their refilling station. I then mix 2:1 RO to hard water. Ever since I started doing this my beers started rockin'. :rockin:

What's the problem with reverse osmosis? I've used it consistently without issue.

My understanding is that it's fine for extracts, but isn't recommended for all-grain, since too many minerals have been eliminated that are essential for a proper mash. I might be wrong on that of course.

My understanding is that it's fine for extracts, but isn't recommended for all-grain, since too many minerals have been eliminated that are essential for a proper mash. I might be wrong on that of course.

With the water stripped of all its minerals, it has no buffereing capacity, so it can't achieve a proper pH. You can use it though, it just has to be treated with brewing salts first.

If you use it to cut your hard water though, it is no problem, because you are using BECAUSE it is devoid of any minerals, making your hard water softer.

Just add your minerals back or do like some others said and combine RO and treated tap water. Either way works fine. I combine RO and tap according to what sort of profile I want. If I get antsy, I'll also supplement with some minerals.

TL

I am hoping water is my culpirt. Been having similar problems. Got some twang from first two extract kits. Then it was still there with my partial mash (DME) and dangit if i'm not tasting it with my 3 Ag's I've done so far. My first two AGs were way over carbonated but mylatest in bottles is great carb wise, but still there. I have another fermenting, My first with proper ferm temp control (future kegerator being used a a ferm chamber untill I get a couple batches to keg). My next batch I will will use store bought water. Is Distilled Drinking water ok? Instead of Spring Water? Or is it along the same lines of RO Water? Stripped of essentials minerals fora proper mash. I'd rather just buy water, then mess with salts and taking ph readings and what not. I'm waiting on a water report right now from my city water supplier.

Back