What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I helped my brother-in-law out with my 2 yr-old nephew over my lunch so he could go run some errands.

"But Psylocide, what does that have to do with beer?"

Well, I'll tell you, curious HBT member... it's extra credit for a free brew day, that's what. It was really hard and stressful too, but I handled it like a champ (is what I told SWMBO).

I know she's going to try to pay me off with sex, but I already let her know I don't want to waste my credit on that.

I helped my brother-in-law out with my 2 yr-old nephew over my lunch so he could go run some errands.

"But Psylocide, what does that have to do with beer?"

Well, I'll tell you, curious HBT member... it's extra credit for a free brew day, that's what. It was really hard and stressful too, but I handled it like a champ (is what I told SWMBO).

I know she's going to try to pay me off with sex, but I already let her know I don't want to waste my credit on that.

Forget brew day at some ambiguous date in the future, get yourself some grilled cheese now man!
And then brew this weekend. :D

Yesterday I finally got around to putting the nice vinyl sight glass tube labels on my bk, had been using the chicken scratch sharpie markings I initially did about 2 years ago.

Also tried my damnest to clean the inside of the tube, it was caked on from past brews. I soaked in hot oxyclean, shot paper towel (rolled up spit ball style) through it with pressurized hot water, got the majority of the crud but it's not clean like I'd like. Any tips?

Oh and also did some organizing and inventory of grains (250 lbs total) and hops (85 oz total)! Gotta get to brewing!

Pictures. Need to get some shelving or something up in the grain room View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1422926650.251722.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1422926659.953107.jpg

Pondered if it would be possible to do a single boil about 8 gallons to end up with 5 gal of Maibock and 5 gallons of sessionable belgian something-or-another at the end of it all. Jury currently out. Please quote this if you've got the answer.

Started cold crashing my starter last night. Maybe brew the kottbusser tomorrow? Got two more pales of bottles to clean when the sink frees up.

Bottled 5.5 gallons of cream of 3 crops ale. Got a starter going of wlp004 Irish ale yeast for my blonde ale.

My brew partner is giving the carboy a quick last scrub for my Hoppy Wheat.

0207050714.jpg

Finally finished scrubbing bottles last night, including ones that'll need delabeling for my son's ghost pepper IIPA I'm saving for that batch. He'll have his own batch of bottles now. Looks like my ESB is finally ready for an FG reading today. Might be bottling that one while the starter finishes cold crashing for the kottbusser.

Just stepped up my starter for the 3rd time. The Irish ale yeast started quick despite beginning with a very small amount. Also harvested about 500 ml for my stash! Lol

After 4 weeks & 3 days of bitter cold temps, the first FG on the ESB down to 1.012 & mostly clear. Darn good flavor & bittering again. The bittering plays off the EKG quite well. Gonna bottle it while the gettin's good with a few 50F days coming. * Done at 5:40 & got 55 bottles of fresh ESB!

bottling my English Pale Ale (extract) tonight, just before the Walking Dead mid-season premier! it's a win-win...

Great brewing weekend!
Had the big boy toys (boom, boom), ATVs and good food and plenty of samples of local home brews. 4th brew event at my place. Collectively we brewed 25 gallons of beer. My contribution was 5 gallons SMaSH (og 1.050), 5 gallons Ragin' Irish Red (og 1.054) and Honey Kolsch (og 1.090). Filling up the pipeline as brewing during FL summers is brutal.

Bought some grains to make a dirty blonde beer, Maris otter and Veinna with some crys 10 and honey malt. brew next weekend.

I installed a utility sink in the basement where I keep my kegs, carboys, kettle, bottles etc. Now SWMBO will be happy, happy that the kitchen is beer gear free. :D

Made my first one gallon batch. Double ipa. In the kitchen. I've been doing five and ten gallon batches in the garage but it's been too cold and dirty out there lately.

Drank some. - it's nice to work on your car when you have a keg of fantastic beer right there in the garage.

Washing yeast today. Bottled 5 gallons of New Zealand brown ale yesterday and ran out of time.

Bottled two gallons of jaom and a gallon of apfelwein. Replaced the overflow tube on my bb porter with an airlock.

Today I assembled a sct-1000 for use with my freezer I bought off Craigslist recently. I also finished painting the fridge as it was beat and a bit rusty but isn't anymore.

I still have to figure out how I'm going to go about getting heat in there. Might order a heat lamp from amazon, didn't see any at lowes.

I'm from pittsburgh so my freezer got a black and "gold" paint job for ****s and giggles. It was mainly for rust prevention though.

I also put my 2nd air distributor in series with the other so I can pressurize all 4 kegs I can keep in the fridge at one time. Now I'm just pondering when I can get 2 more kegs...

Did my first party-gyle yesterday. Didn't quite go as I expected but I got about 2.5 gal of 1.045 wort out of the second rubbings of my 5 gal batch of 1.096 imperial stout. Curious to see what the flavor profile is. A bit over hopped since I misjudged the runoff. Interesting getting two beers for the price of one.

Yesterday I made started for an 11 months old jar of yeast that kicked right back up. I also bottled a mosaic saison and pitched sour dregs into the extra gallon of it. Sample tasted fantastic!

I removed beer from the beer fridge to make room for my carboy to cold crash, properly this time around. :)

Got 3 new sets of O-Rings for my kegs, we don't even inventory them because we give out more than we sell, so... I win.

Well, had to put everything away for morning. Computer emergency came up. Damn hacker crap again with Spyhunter4 & avast canceling each other out. Cost 180 bucks for one year fix & the smart-a$$ ****** erased BS2 before signing off when I specifically told him not to erase personal programs. That I was a brewer & writer. He got someting to do with open office "X" in recycle bin I may?? have to restore so as not to loose all my books? Frickin smart a$$...

Back