Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smoking a halved pig's head. Ill post pictures on smoking day with specifics. Haven't got it set in stone what I'm doing yet so suggestions would be great.
I can get them free from the meat market i work at so i figured I'd give it a try. Seen done good looking recipes on travel channel. Any one attempt this before?

Smoking a halved pig's head. Ill post pictures on smoking day with specifics. Haven't got it set in stone what I'm doing yet so suggestions would be great.
I can get them free from the meat market i work at so i figured I'd give it a try. Seen done good looking recipes on travel channel. Any one attempt this before?

Why do you get them free???

Theres not much of a food culture in northern illinois so unless its steaks or skinless boneless chicken breasts people around here won't try it. They're all pretty boring so we'd have no chance selling a hogs head so my boss gave it to me

So heres my plan for the halved hogs head:

-Salt/Spice Brine for 24 hours(currently Brining)
-Dry rub and mop let sit till sunday when i have all day to cook
-Smoke (mopping occasionally) at low 200's till int. temp reaches high 100's maybe 200F?

Mop sauce:
1 qt Milk Stout Wort
1 clove garlic (chopped)
1 cup cider vinegar
1 cup Bourbon Stout BBQ sauce (Homemade from stout wort and bourbon)

Hoping for some experienced smoking tips or suggestions before sunday haha

20141023_111353.jpg

20141023_112415.jpg

Venison summer sausage and jerkey from deer butchered last weekend and a ton of bacon feom the hog we butchered the week before that. Hopefully next weekend it'll be fresh elk

Went on at 8:30 at 230*
I've put nomex gasket around fire box and smoker to close up those gaps to help regulate temp, and I discovered that the thermometer that came with this thing is about 25* too low. Seriously? Come on people, can't be that hard to make a thermometer that gets within 5* for this application!
Ah well anyway.... Both are bone in from a small hog a buddy butchered a month or so ago. Two different rubs. One on left, salt free paprika/chili powder/garlic based. The one on the right is sugar/garlic/pepper base. We shall see what we shall see.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414328577.095939.jpg

Sent from my BrewPhone using Home Brew, cuz I really didn't want to fire up the computer to post this.

Went on at 8:30 at 230*
I've put nomex gasket around fire box and smoker to close up those gaps to help regulate temp, and I discovered that the thermometer that came with this thing is about 25* too low. Seriously? Come on people, can't be that hard to make a thermometer that gets within 5* for this application!
Ah well anyway.... Both are bone in from a small hog a buddy butchered a month or so ago. Two different rubs. One on left, salt free paprika/chili powder/garlic based. The one on the right is sugar/garlic/pepper base. We shall see what we shall see.
View attachment 231749

Sent from my BrewPhone using Home Brew, cuz I really didn't want to fire up the computer to post this.

Looks like the start of something good. Where did you find gaskets at?

rutland is a good brand to use. check with your local fireplace store or Amazon (where i got mine).

you can buy a kit that comes with the glue. what i used looks similar to this:

Rutland_Part.jpg

http://www.bbqgaskets.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Cool. Thanks. When I got my pit the guy sold it to me cheap because the door on the chamber was bend out of place and I've never been able to get it to seal right. I was planning on throwing a heavy canvas tarp over it but a gasket is a way better idea

http://www.bbqgaskets.com/

This is where I got mine. I used the self stick, as it was cheaper, less potential mess(I know myself all too well).
Completely changed my ability to regulate temp on this one today. Being charcoal start, then cherry chips/chunks, had to babysit more than electric, but never dropped more than 10-15 degrees, and admittedly most of that was my lack of attention at times. Went for 4 hours to IT of 190 on one and 195 on the other...... One was only 8oz, the other 13oz. (Hog was the runt at 200lbs hanging) Wrapped 'em in foil and set them back in there while temp was still stable at 115. Get some pics before I shred the bigger one.

Made some bacon wrapped chicken lollipops on Saturday that turned out excellent. Put them in the Akorn with 50/50 blend of peach and cherry wood at 325 for a few hours then added a bourbon maple glaze for the last 30 minutes. The prep work is pretty laborious, but worth it!
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414431563.453478.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414431584.745982.jpg

So heres my plan for the halved hogs head:

-Salt/Spice Brine for 24 hours(currently Brining)
-Dry rub and mop let sit till sunday when i have all day to cook
-Smoke (mopping occasionally) at low 200's till int. temp reaches high 100's maybe 200F?

Mop sauce:
1 qt Milk Stout Wort
1 clove garlic (chopped)
1 cup cider vinegar
1 cup Bourbon Stout BBQ sauce (Homemade from stout wort and bourbon)

Hoping for some experienced smoking tips or suggestions before sunday haha

Was waiting all day yesterday to see how smoked pig heads was going to turn out... What happened??

Im glad you were curious because its a cut of meat that i was incredibly surprised by. It turned out incredible the day of as a "family style pick pieces off and eat it" dish. But where it shines is the day after. I took it to work to show my boss, threw it in the oven till it was hot and it pulled apart exactly like pork butt and makes excellent pulled pork. Besides the brain which is easily removed the only thing on the head was bacon-like jowl meat and dark cheek meat.

Heres a picture halfway through the cook and one of it when finished(sorry forgot to take one immediately after it was done, we already dug into this.) I smoked it for 8-9 hours fluctuating 200-225 on a barrel grill using wet hickory staves from my woodpile. cooked till internal temp was 190-200.

20141026_124945.jpg

20141028_101433.jpg

Very nice! Cold or hot? I do much smaller chunks and like to do it cold. I have about 40 lbs of assorted cheese in the fridge. When it cools off in the next few days I'll smoke it, and vacuum bag for Christmas gifts for my family. I do Canadian bacon, and peameal too... Gotta get busy!

I'll be doing a 14+ lb packer brisket for a buddy's retirement from the Army party.

Ok so, I was going to smoke what I thought was a large loin that was donated to my wife's church. However, when I unwrapped it. This is what I found..... I'm not sure what the correct name is, but it's what appears to be I guess a rib roast? It's obviously ribeye but not cut into steaks... So, do I smoke it as ribs, do I cut it as ribeye steaks? I'm just kinda at an impasse at the moment. It's almost thawed, so......... ?ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414809532.845526.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1414809560.898736.jpg

As an update, looking at it this morning it's definitely pork..... (So I mighta had my homebrew glasses on last night... Jus sayin).
Think I'll cut the loin and have some ribs as well, and smoke 'em up

So, went well, considering what I started with.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414891225.128178.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414891947.853853.jpg
4.5lbs loin, 2.75lbs ribs, 3.5.hours @ 220-230, wrapped in foil for another hour, pulled it off at 145 for the ribs, 165 for the loin. Let them rest for about 2 hours, finaled out at 165 for the ribs and 195 for the loin.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414891884.107435.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1415046264.835594.jpg since I discovered that store bought smoked cheese is just sprayed with liquid smoke I started smoking my own.

Does gravity affect gravity? Would all beer be lite on the moon?

I have buckboard bacon in my smoker roaster oven right now. Have taken a few pictures and will post when the finished product is done. It started with a whole boneless pork loin roast. Hope it's good!

Here is the sliced yumminess - 5 pounds of it! That's a full-sized dinner plate it's on. We packed it up in 8 oz. portions in sandwich baggies, then put those in a vacuum sealed bag and froze. I'd say it tastes a cross between Canadian bacon and regular ham. It's fully cooked as-is and will make great sandwiches, but I think panfrying it a bit couldn't hurt anything and would be great with eggs!

buckboard bacon2.jpg

Back