BASO valve shutoff timing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chilipepper

Reaction score
I'm finally getting a little closer on my Brutus build and had some time to putz on it again for a while. I put together my propane valve setup and was doing some safety testing and adjusting and came up with a couple of questions. First off the control portion of my system is low pressure propane running through a BASO pilot safety valve, then to a brass ball valve and then through an ASCO solenoid valve to the burner.

First, how long does it take to get the pilot safety valve (BASO) to close after a pilot is blown out? Right now my system is about 22 seconds. This doesn't seem like too much but if the controller kicked on somewhere there shortly after the pilot died it could put out quite a bit of propane before the safety valved closed the supply.

Secondly, and possibly one of the issues relating to the first question, is that I have to run the thermocouple pretty high into the pilot flame so it gets pretty warm. It seems like I need it there or else the pilot would immediately extinguish when the solenoid valve in the ASCO would kick on. Once I move the thermocouple up it seemed like that fixed the issue, however, the thermocouple now takes longer to cool to close the BASO safety valve. Has anyone else come up with any good compromises or number for their system as to what works and what doesn't?? Or is the 20+ seconds tolerable?

Thanks,
Ryan

The thermocouple generates the power to energize the electromagnet coil in the valve and takes about 15-25 seconds to cool enough to let valve close. Keeping most of the thermocouple in the flame is normal, and as it takes about 20+ seconds to warmup it takes just about as long to cool. Only the direct spark and electric ignition modules react immediately when flame is lost, the thermocouple systems take 20+ seconds to drop out.

Ok perfect. Thanks for the response and verifying that things are running as 'normal'. At least I can move on without questioning it.

Thanks again. Ryan

Back