Equipment questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cblake33

Reaction score
I am new to the forum and have been reading all I can. The amount of knowledge on here is amazing! I plan on being in this hobby for the long haul and am getting ready to make my initial equipment purchase.

My question is should I go with a basic bucket/carboy kit , or invest in a conical fermenter.

I know I have a lot to learn and this is my first of what I am sure will be multiple questions. Thanks for all your help!

http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Boerderij_Kabouter/Boerderij_Kabouters_Start_Kit_Suggestions/

In my opinion, a conical is not a good investment for starting out. Once you have basic equipment, this is the order of upgrades IMO:

1. Temperature fermentation control
2. Yeast management - starters and perhaps harvesting
3. Design an AG system that will meet your wants and needs
4. Start building toward that system

The link I posted I what I suggest buying to get started with extract+steep brewing.

Read "How to Brew" by Palmer and spend some time looking around here. Then you will have a good base and will not have wasted much money.

I would just with a bucket or carboy to start. Use the extra money for all grain or a chiller. A chiller is a must in my book.

+1 on the chiller. I just got mine and wow, what a difference in brewing day! 210F to 100F in about 15 minutes :)

Having said that let me also say, don't be too quick about adding equipment. As you get more experience what you personally will want next will become evident. Nothing worse than getting equipment and not being able to fully utilize it.

Thanks for the great replies. All of them make sense.

Justin , thanks for the link. I printed it off and am ordering according. Also read your blog. Great system designs by the way.

As for the wort chiller , a friend of mine who no longer brews , offered to sell me his " Blichmann Therminator " for $100 a while back. I didn't think much about it at the time. Would this be a wise investment if he still has it?

$100 for a therminator is a good deal. It is a good chiller to be sure. I am not personally a fan of homebrew plate chillers, but many people really like them and there efficiency cannot be questioned.

I don't normally respond to these kinds of threads because most people are more of the thought buy the cheapest stuff they can and start brewing. I wasted a lot of money with that line of thinking so I try to help anyone I think will listen. Before buying anything ask yourself, 'will I be able to use this for a long time as I progress in the hobby?' If you answer no, make sure it is cheap enough to not matter. I wasted a ton on intermediate upgrades.

Good luck and ask questions, this is a really nice community!

Latest posts

Back