Propane questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyer

Reaction score
I currently have my gas grill and pool heater hooked up to the line before the regulator on my house propane tank. The line is 3/8 copper. The line runs about 60 feet to the grill and then hooks in directly to the grill without a regulator. The pool heater T's off this line and there is a regulator before it goes into the heater. The heater seems to work fine but the grill always seemed to have a smaller flame than it did when it had a regular tank on it. I tried hooking my turkey fryer up to the line where the grill is and I have almost no flame at all. The pressure coming from the line is definately too low. I'm thinking either the line is too small or there is a kink somewhere before the grill. The pool heater works well and it takes way more propane but it is on a shorter line. Does anyone know what size copper should be there or what kind of pressure I should be getting when there is no regulator?

You have a regulator on your house, probably two of them. The first will be down on the tank and the second at the house. At least that's how my house is setup. The tank regulator provides 10 psi and the house regulator is only 9-13 inches (of water). You'll need to find where the secondary regulator is located and tap off ahead of it. I was planning on running my kettle on house propane, but determined it wasn't worth the effort. The zoning here does not allow 10 psi propane inside.

Fortunately, the propane dealer will fill my 20# tanks when he fills the main tank. Used to fill the RV as well.

I figured it out last night, my pool heater and gas grill are actually two seperate lines. The heater is high pressure and the grill comes out of the house after the regulator so it's low pressure. I hooked into the heater line's high pressure and now my turkey fryer burns like it did with the small propane tank.

Back