Smoke Maple Syrup in a Porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glibbidy

Reaction score
I have seen several threads on Rauchbier, as well as using Maple Syrup, but not a combination of the both.
The farmers wife gave me some smoked maple syrup that seems like it might go well in a Porter but certainly not for pancakes. Has anyone ever used the combo in a brew?

I've never heard of smoked maple syrup--what do Vermonters usually do with it? For glazing meats and the like?

Yes, It's typical application is for the Easter Ham, or Turkey. This usually coincides with the end of sugaring season. So as a result it's wicked fresh.
It can also be used to make a terrific marinade for cooking salmon on the grill. The farmer's wife says "There is plenty more where that came from" ;) So, I'm looking to do a little experimentation with this years sap run.

Dude said:
Whoa....that sounds awesome.
How smoky is it?
It was super smokey, and moderately sweet.

seefresh said:
That sounds pretty awesome. How was it smoked? Over what kind of wood?

I believe they used pine, as it burns the hottest. This was initially just an experiment with a small batch to see how it tastes. The sap will likely be running this weekend, so I'll probably swing by and see if the farmer is boiling.

I'm interested too. I've had very mixed results to date with maple syrup. In general I find it adds an interesting mouthfeel, but no real taste. Let us know!

My fiancé's mom lives in Canada and they have some friends the produce premium maple syrup. I popped open one of the cans and it was pretty smokey. I don't think it was "smoked" per se, but I have had plenty of fresh syrup and nothing that ever tasted like this. It was delicious but not quite something that was good with pancakes.

I had just brewed the Holiday Ale AG kit from Midwest and thought I would try adding the syrup. I added 2 cups to secondary. The 2 cups was just a little too much for me, but the fiancé drank it like water. If I did it again, I would add only 1 cup.

There was no residual sweetness and the smokiness was left behind. Like I said, just a little too much for me, but it was still a good beer and everyone that tried it loved it.

maple syrup is not smoked. I have made many a gallon and the smoky flavor you get comes from boiling down so much woody colorless sap down to a dark brown syrup. boiling that much you are bound to toast some wood.

Well, I live in Québec, which is the largest (and best :D) producer of maple syrup in the world. Maple syrup is my life, I do everything with it and know pretty much everything about it. Maybe smoked maple syrup exists, but I never saw it. If you get smoky flavor from a regular maple syrup, that's probably a bad batch, because there's nothing like smokyness in it.

That said, if you ask Porter + maple + smoke, i'd say: HELL YHEA!
And I would add: Put a chipotle in it too!!!

Back