Started Hard Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dracothered

Reaction score
Hey all this is the first time I have tried making Hard Cider. Wondering if this looks right to you.

It has in it...

1gal of 100% Apple Juice with nothing in it
2cups of Sugar
30 Raisins for yeasty food
1 packet of bread yeast (yea I know it isn't the best choice)

It was put together on 6-10-11 and has been bubbling just fine shortly after the yeast was pitched in dry.... I don't have a Hydrometer yet, but looking to get one.

2-Start-Hard-Cider-6-10-11.jpg

Looks fine to me. You probably won't need the blow off tube! Most of mine only have a small amount of bubbles along the surface.

looks like you're on the right track! you don't need the raisins, apple juice ferments fine with no additions, but they will boost the alc % a tiny bit and add interesting flavors, i would chop them roughly next time if you didn't already. and splurge the 75 cents for ale/wine yeast; pretend it's christmas in june

The next batch maybe I will get a an ale yeast to use. This is my second brew, the first one I did was Mead.

How long do you think it will take before I can rack it the first time. It is bubbling about every second.

The next batch maybe I will get a an ale yeast to use. This is my second brew, the first one I did was Mead.

How long do you think it will take before I can rack it the first time. It is bubbling about every second.

I wait to rack until all the yeast has fallen out of suspension- usually four to five weeks. I figure this gives the yeasties some time to clean up some of the off-flavors, while ensuring fermentation is finished.

The last couple of batches of cider I have made have been nothing but apple juice and ale yeast (Munton's). I have been very pleased. It ferments quickly, drops clear in about a month, and is a very smooth, still dry cider, ready to drink in just a few weeks. I'm thinking of making a bunch more in the next few months to give away for Christmas. I've made some decent tasting wines with bread yeast but wine or ale yeast clears so much better it's worth the few cents extra.

Hey I just did something similar. My first experiment with an Apfelwein type drink (other experience I fermented plain apple cider last fall).

I used about 3 cups of sugar to a 1 gallon jug of apple juice. Left out the raisins, and used US-05 ale yeast. The plan is to let it sit for about 6-8 weeks, then bottle and leave until October-ish.

I will probably do a few more of these to keep a 'pipeline' going. They are so much easier to do than beer. And you don't really use any equipment when you ferment in the jug.

You would be wise to get the hydrometer. I tried an apfelwine without one, followed a recipe, and ended up with something that finished sweet and strong as HELL. It was revolting. It was a waste of my money for the components and time. I bought a hydrometer that week lol.

Hey all it has been a little over 2 week since I started (6-10-11) the bubbling has slowed some. It started out at a bubble about 1 per a second and now is at a bubble about ever 5 seconds. Should I think about racking it to a new container?

The one thing that worries me a little, but not that much is it hasn't really started to clear much. I know it may never really clear that well because of the yeast I used and the fact I didn't put anything in it to help with that.

It may not completely clear if the juice was originally cloudy. I've made cider with the cloudy type juice and it tastes fine. Personally I prefer working with clear juice, although that's just my preference. I don't have access to fresh-pressed and my goal at the moment is to perfect a decent tasting, very easy recipe, so for now I'm sticking with clear juice.

From my experience two weeks is a bit soon to expect the yeast to really drop out. I suspect you'll see a difference if you wait another week. Bread yeast will eventually drop out, but the lees are lighter and fluffier than wine/ale yeast so racking can be a pain.

If I'm having trouble deciding if I've completely dropped clear, I look for a consistent color all the way down to the lees. If the yeast hasn't finished dropping, it will look lighter in the bottom third of the carboy. Not an absolute method, but it works for me.

Well after I racked it to a new jug it has cleared up allot. How long should it sit in the secondary before I rack it to bottles. It looks as if it is all done fermented out.

Well after I racked it to a new jug it has cleared up allot. How long should it sit in the secondary before I rack it to bottles. It looks as if it is all done fermented out.

That's completely up to you. Some people like to bulk age for 3-6 months before they bottle. Others will bottle it right away and let it age in the bottles. The rest will bottle and drink if it tastes ok and is ready to drink.

It's all just a matter of personal preference when it comes to home brewing. And in that spirit I heard an appropriate quote while watching Prince of Persia: Sands of Time last night. "A true king follows the advice of his council but always listens to his own heart above all". Pretty much the same thing when it comes to brewing. Listen to opinions, but go with what feels right to you.

Latest posts

Back