Hefe in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBulldogg

Reaction score
I got myself a carboy for secondary fermentation and my batch of Hefeweizen is closing in on done in the primary. I was thinking I'd put it in the secondary for a week or two, since that seems to be the consensus for best taste. BUT... I also read a lot about how the secondary is mostly beneficial for "clearing up" a beer, whereas a Hefe would be naturally cloudy. Secondly, it is my understanding Hefe is one of the rare kinds where time is not a singlularly good thing -- drinking it in the first 3 months of life is best for taste. I have no doubt I can put away 50something bottles in 90 days (try 20 or 30, tops) but it gives me pause about doing the secondary route. Any thoughts on this?

This is happening as we speak. I went ahead and decided to rack my Hefe into a secondary two days ago. There was a very aggressive fermentation at first, and I was left with alot of krausen along the top of the carboy(and the sides, and underneath, and on the floor etc. etc.)

So I went ahead and racked to a secondary to get it into a cleaner carboy. Well, to my suprise its back into fermentation mode. Bubbling twice a minute again. Not much, I know, but still....its trying. I think I'll leave it in there for at least a week or so.

Baron, I'm right with you there...I definitely did a double take. ElP, perhaps next time you should make use of the shift key/caps lock, i.e. "Here's one of our FAQ's on the subject...":D

-Josh

Back