Need quick help with yeast question before brewing!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NativeSun

Reaction score
I have the Bry-97 dry yeast and was looking on how to start it. In the past I've just dumped it into the wort and had no problem with the yeast activating. I want to start the yeast while I brew so it will be ready and need some confirmation on how to do it.

Should I mix the yeast with a glass of water then put it in the microwave as described by the picture or should I bring the water temp to 80 degrees then pour the yeast in?

image-80943354.jpg

Boil the water to sterilize it, let it cool while covered, to desired temp (90f). Add yeast, wait for 15 min, then stir and add to wort.
Once the water is boiled, everything that touches the water/yeast needs to be sanitized.

Boil and cool the water then add the yeast. If you put the yeast in the microwave you will most likely kill them all. I think that 00:15 means to let the yeast re-hydrate for 15 minutes.

Usually, i'll boil a cup of water for 3 minutes in my microwave right when I start my brewing and just let it sit in the microwave to cool off. After my boil is finished and i've racked it to the primary, the water in my measuring cup in the microwave is cool enough to add dry yeast to it. I let it hydrate anywhere from 10-20 minutes, stir it and pitch.

Usually, i'll boil a cup of water for 3 minutes in my microwave right when I start my brewing and just let it sit in the microwave to cool off. After my boil is finished and i've racked it to the primary, the water in my measuring cup in the microwave is cool enough to add dry yeast to it. I let it hydrate anywhere from 10-20 minutes, stir it and pitch.

This ^^^^^ works well.

I boil for 5 min and then cover my measuring cup with sanitized foil after the boil.

I also make sure that the yeast temp is within 10*F of the wort. Since I chill ale wort to about 62-64*F, I have to add small amounts of it to the yeast slurry every few minutes to get the yeast cool enough to pitch. It usually takes 3 wort additions to do that.

Latest posts

Back