Stopping fermentation without Potassium sorbate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jg12333

Reaction score
I have a cider thats about a month and a half old and i want to get rid of the yeast and back sweeten? How could i do this without potaisum sorbate

I can think of 4 ways:

1) filtration
2) pasteurization
3) bleach
4) use a non-fermentable sugar like lactose

I'd go with #4.

Splenda is another possibility if you don't mind that. Possibly in (careful) conjunction with the lactose: lactose really isn't very sweet, about a sixth as strong as table sugar, and splenda is sweet but adds no body to it. Stouts made with lactose tend to end up getting more body than sweetness from the deal as I understand, though there's some of both. I may be wrong here, mind, just been hunting the forums for some of the same answers recently. :)

just a little humor there. i could have included a legal disclaimer, but that would have spoiled the joke, no?

you're right about lactose adding less sweetness than sucrose. splenda is an option if you don't object to foreign contaminants, but you are avoiding potassium sorbate, so i'm guessing you'll want to avoid it as well. The sacks of splenda you get at the store are mostly bulking agents, and I think may be fermentable, so watch out.

I was just looking at one of those sacks of Splenda today: it's just sucralose and maltodextrin, which I believe is nonfermentable. What it is important to avoid is the sugar/splenda blends, which are cane sugar with enough splenda added to double the sweetness. That will ferment. True though, either way you're adding things that are rather outside the natural ingredient list.

my genetics don't allow me the option of using lactose, but in general I think it's pretty popular. Another option is stevia extract - it's a plant leaf extract that is excruciatingly sweet like aspartame, etc. but is natural and doesn't have much of a characteristic taste. you can find it any any natural food store. It will add no body, just sweetness.

Latest posts

Back