storage limits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerant

Reaction score
Just getting into brewing from scratch and would like to know what are the storage time limits on grains- if any; and refrigeration limits on hops. Oh; and should dry yeast be refrigerated?
Thanks

Anybody know how long crushed grains will be cool to use. They've been stored in my freezer. Not sure what ideal conditions are for crushed grains, but they're not vacuumed, just in plastic bags with the air pushed out.

If they're toast I'll just toss them, only a few bucks of specialty grains I may not use again anyway.

Yeast should be refrigerated. Hops last for years sealed tight and frozen. Grain should be in a cool dry place and will be fine for over a year (uncrushed.)
Thanks for the info. I should have been more succinct about hops; I meant pellets; is this what you where referring to?

Pellets store better than whole hops. I am still using 2009 pellets from time to time, and they work fine. For finishing hops, I prefer to use the freshest hops available, though.

Back