Man Travels Through Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best thread this week.

I have a time travel device in my bathroom. I sit down and am propelled to the future. A much smellier one.

woohoo! I rule. My future self told me it was going to be an awesome thread.

Think about it. If you could time travel into the future (and not end up drifting through space), would you tell the world or would you buy the 2015 sports almanac to bring back with you so you could start placing bets & winning millions? If you could time travel into the past, would you tell the world or would you invest in stocks, stash a few comics & brew lots of beer/wine/mead for serious aging? I'd be manipulating the past, present & future to my advantage & nobody would be the wiser for it. Regards, GF.

Think about it. If you could time travel into the future (and not end up drifting through space), would you tell the world or would you buy the 2015 sports almanac to bring back with you so you could start placing bets & winning millions? If you could time travel into the past, would you tell the world or would you invest in stocks, stash a few comics & brew lots of beer/wine/mead for serious aging? I'd be manipulating the past, present & future to my advantage & nobody would be the wiser for it. Regards, GF.

Word. There is no doubt I would be all over this. I'll put $10,000 on the TB Rays making the 08 WS...how much do you think that would have made you if you put it down in March?

And waaaaayyyy:off:

We have all know of the "dont mess with things in the past" theory, but how do we know that the future we have now didnt already include us going into the past and messing with something.

Try to wrap your brain around that!

How about this one.

You travel back in time and kill your grandparents before your parents are conceived. You would be a being without a beginning, and therefore no end, a God.

The really cool thing is the GPS satellites (well all satellites really) are actually traveling faster through time than we are on earth. The earths gravity slows time, and the farther you are from a gravity well or the faster you are going, the faster time travels for you.

True, but that specific case it's the speed of the satellite relative to earth that causes the time dilation.

How about this one.

You travel back in time and kill your grandparents before your parents are conceived. You would be a being without a beginning, and therefore no end, a God.

No, because if that happened you wouldn't exist.

And if you cease to exist how did you kill your grandparent. :D Hence the paradox issue. How could you exist long enough to kill the people that helped to cause your existance???

Too much brain work for a Friday:cross:

But you did exist and caused the event that causes you to no longer exist.

Physically, you would continue to exist, as matter cannot be created or destroyed.

You would have no origin. Without a beginning there cannot be an end.

You would be immortal and perpetually stuck in a state of being which cannot be altered.

QED

Physically, you would continue to exist, as matter cannot be created or destroyed.

False. Energy cannot be created or destroyed. Matter can.

True to the first. The second is an assumption.

You would be immortal and perpetually stuck in a state of being which cannot be altered.

Big assumptions without causality. You could also become a lifeless piece of flesh. Your body would slowly disassociate back into dust. Hence, YOU would not exist as a person and your physical matter would remain.

And if you cease to exist how did you kill your grandparent. :D Hence the paradox issue. How could you exist long enough to kill the people that helped to cause your existance???

What about parallel existences?

But you did exist and caused the event that causes you to no longer exist.

QED

I quoted this post without reading it. Therefore, as I never read it, it does not exist in my own reality, but the fact that I quoted it means that it does exist in the forum! Would someone please quote this post so that I know I ever actually typed it, or if it was my imagination?

True to the first. The second is an assumption.

EDIT: On second thought, the first is an assumption as well. If you killed your grandparents it would mean they could not be your origin, not that you had no origin. You could just a likely have been born to the lady across town door. In which case, by killing your grandparents, you would at that moment have killed a stranger.

What about parallel existences?

This is what subscribe to when I want spend brain power on time travel. Instead of bouncing around in my timeline, I would be hopping around in time in a parallel universe.

The main issue I have with time travel is this:

IF you could go forward or back, you would be carrying your mass/matter into a time where the same matter exists. This would violate any understanding of duality in one spot. If I travel back, either my matter would exist at the same time with my past self's matter. If I travel back farther than my time here on earth, say 1million years, the matter would still exist, just not in the neat little package that makes me. The same paradox exist if you travel forward as well.

The whole argument that matter can't be created nor destroyed would be null and void the moment I tried to exist at the same time my matter would exist, ie doubling the matter that makes me me.

But given there is no proof of time travel the argument is moot. I question the idea of time travel given the ability of humans to destroy anything important or sacred. Which means someone would try to go back in time to destroy say one of the disciples, any record of Jesus, or any other means of destroying the form of Christianity we know today.

But hey TGIF and Happy Halloween!
pumpkin1_T5DPFY.gif

The whole argument that matter can't be created nor destroyed would be null and void the moment I tried to exist at the same time my matter would exist

That argument should have been dispelled about 11th grade. Matter cna be destroyed and the equation E=mc^2 is the formula used to calculate the amount of energy produced from the total destruction of a given mass of "matter"

This would violate any understanding of duality in one spot.

Matter cannot exist in the same place, at the same time, and in the same quantum state. If they are in different states they can happily exist in the same place.

That argument should have been dispelled about 11th grade. Matter cna be destroyed and the equation E=mc^2 is the formula used to calculate the amount of energy produced from the total destruction of a given mass of "matter"

Matter cannot exist in the same place, at the same time, and in the same quantum state. If they are in different states they can happily exist in the same place.

This is a fun distraction, thanks first and foremost.

Slight disagreement with your statement. If energy is produced matter isn't being destroyed just converted from a stable form to a higher energetic form. At least the way I have understood it. If matter is completely destroyed there would be no heat, light, particles or such produced.

This is a fun distraction, thanks first and foremost.

Ditto, but it was my occupation for 4yrs in college (BS - Physics) :drunk:

Slight disagreement with your statement. If energy is produced matter isn't being destroyed just converted from a stable form to a higher energetic form. At least the way I have understood it. If matter is completely destroyed there would be no heat, light, particles or such produced.

Incorrect. For matter to change from one state to a higher state, energy must be added. If energy is liberated, matter must fall to a lower state. Neverless, when matter is destroyed it is converted into energy.

Ditto, but it was my occupation for 4yrs in college :drunk:

Incorrect. For matter to change from one state to a higher state, energy must be added (and vice versa). When matter is destroyed it is converted into energy.

This is new info for me. The problem I see is that either E=mc^2 is missing something or energy is not added.

For energy to be added for the conversion, the equation should read:

E=mc^2 + e

where e is the added energy to destroy the matter. Typically the relativistic equations are dumbed down for us laymen and this could be the result; an ignorance of the actually equation forms.

BTW, is this off topic or was there an actual purpose to this thread that I may have forgotten?? :cross:

This is new info for me. The problem I see is that either E=mc^2 is missing something or energy is not added.

For energy to be added for the conversion, the equation should read:

E=mc^2 + e

where e is the added energy to destroy the matter.

That equation only concerns the energy liberated as a result of the destruction. Assuming there was any energy input, the equation becomes

E + e =mc^2 + e which can be resolved to

E =mc^2 + e - e <or> E =mc^2

Typically the relativistic equations are dumbed down for us laymen and this could be the result; an ignorance of the actually equation forms.

The problem arises because HS chem teachers that matter is not destroyed (chemically, this is correct) to teach their concepts. Next year in physics, they teach that matter can be destroyed, and it is *energy* that cannot be destroyed. Most people never take physics...

If you read David Deutch's theory on the multiverse and time travel, he has come up with an idea of how it is achievable within the laws of physics.

+1
TIme travel is theoretically possible as time can be manipulated, mankind just doesn't have the skills/ resources to build machines to do it.

But if you want to time travel for short distances you just need:
3 advil,
2 Rx sleeping pills
12 beers, give or take
a cushion of some kind
Gatorade
cell phone
comfortable clothing

Step one:
Drink 5 or 6 beers
take one sleeping pill
Drink 5 or 6 more beers
Stand in front of the cushion with your feet together, tilt your head back, close your eyes and try to touch your nose....

Find yourself 10-12 hours in the future

TIme travel is hard on the body and will give you some aches, that's what the advil and gatorade are for. The cell phone is in case you need to call for a pizza.

Latest posts

Back