Beer things to do in Paris

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moreb33rplz

Reaction score
I will be spending some time around Paris for work. I'm American. I love beer and visiting local beer things when I travel to new places.

What should I do and where should I go around Paris?

I will also have access to a weekend where I could potentially travel somewhere close - say Belgium or Northeast France.

Brother idk how you may get to Belgium but I must say I was profoundly disappointed with Belgium and profoundly impressed with Amsterdam. I’m not a 420 guy or anything but if you make it that far north, there’s incredible beers and beer bars😟🚤🚨

Anyways in Paris, book a cooking class with Le foodist and swing by brewberry bar. We stay in le marais when we’re there, and beer really isn’t the focus.

Edit: also, add a la biche a bois as a must stop in paris. Rustic restaurant, full dinner with a cheese cart “dessert” course. But of course you’ll find France is about their wine rather than beer

Try to find beers brewed by Brasserie Lancelot (Bretagne), in particular one named Tellen Du. It's been a long time since I've drank it, but I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I visited France this July and stayed in Paris, Nice, Annecy, and Colmar. I expected to find lots of good Belgium and German beers at each of these locations, but that was not the case. Even in Colmar, 5 miles from Germany, there were no German lagers available. Instead, I enjoyed the local blonde ale and red wines. The blonde ale is quite delicious and miles above the BMC beer on draft in most American establishments.

the Beer Academy (Académie de la Bière) is a MUST when in Paris

https://goo.gl/maps/B7hbAA3sfBmZH1wP8
I have spent too many evenings closing this place out on business trips to Paris. The food is outstanding higher end pub fare, the beers on tap are always fresh, and the staff wonderful (even to non French speakers)

I'm a brewer and a beer drinker. That said, don't waste your short time in Paris/France simply pursuing a good beer. Most everything is available internationally these days, and to be honest, French beer isn't materially better/different than others. Paris however, is materially different than most of the rest of the world and you should spend every possible moment discovering it. I lived there as a kid for a couple of years and have been back half a dozen times since and there is always more to visit. Cathedrals, monuments, museums, neighborhoods, markets, and so much more.
Eat, drink and enjoy the city. Play tourist, but also wander and discover.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best thing to do is go to Prague. It is everything you thought Paris was going to be.
We have been in both cities, so this is the voice of experience.

I'm a brewer and a beer drinker. That said, don't waste your short time in Paris/France simply pursuing a good beer. Most everything is available internationally these days, and to be honest, French beer isn't materially better/different than others. Paris however, is materially different than most of the rest of the world and you should spend every possible moment discovering it. I lived there as a kid for a couple of years and have been back half a dozen times since and there is always more to visit. Cathedrals, monuments, museums, neighborhoods, markets, and so much more.
Eat, drink and enjoy the city. Play tourist, but also wander and discover.
As a Brit I love the Paris/France, London/England descriptions of foreign cities. That’s what comes from naming US towns after where you come from. My favourite is Edgeley/Dakota as that’s my surname. 😀😀

Damn so what I'm hearing basically is to give up on beer tourism in Paris

Damn so what I'm hearing basically is to give up on beer tourism in Paris
ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!

As one who frequents there for work, there is great locally brewed beer to be discovered and enjoyed.

My favorite French brewer is O'Clock Brewing in Bois-d'Arcy. Absolutely beautiful beers that would be ranked amongst the best US breweries if they exported here. Worth a visit to the brewery for tasting and a tour of their extensive barrel aging beers in-process

https://oclockbrewing.fr/
https://goo.gl/maps/eRDY4xdCv9nxcuit8

Ok...are you really looking for good beer? Friendly people? Good food?
If so, then go straight to Prague!
I have spent a fair amount of time in Paris and Prague. Flew 777's for United, so went to Paris on a regular basis.

The people are not very friendly, unless you speak French. The wine is Ok. The food is pretty good.

But like I said, Prague is everything you thought (and hoped) Paris would be.

My favorite thing to seek in Paris: the perfect croissant, or a macaron and of course the coffee.
Should take a short trip to Reims and go take the Pommery Champagne tour. Very awesome. There is Michelin star restaurant in Reims, Le Millenaire which really make that worth your while.

Back