DFH Midas Touch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumboldtBrewer

Reaction score
So I've got this brew sitting in my primary and tomorrow I am supposed to add the Muscat grape concentrate. Am I just going to slowly pour this into my primary and close it back up, or do I need to stir this around?

What's your gravity? Are you done fermenting...for the time being?

IME, you typically rack your beer on top of whatever you're adding to secondary. I'd think something as thin as concentrate wouldn't need to be stirred to effectively mix and ferment into a batch.

I have not checked my gravity yet, but the airlock is still bubbling a few times per minute. I was going to keep this in primary the whole time, but only cause my secondary is pre-occupied at the moment.

I am running into yet another issue. I have not received my muscat wine concentrate yet, and I'm pushing 5 days since I pitched the yeast. I am also leaving town for the weekend and may not be able to put in the muscat until monday. What will this do to my beer? Will it be syrupy or will the yeast reactivate and take care of it?

Relax. They'll come back to life as soon as you add some new sugar. ;)

Your beer will probably be ruined. If you dump it now you're going to save the free world from having to experience the monstrosity that your two hands hath wrought.

Just kidding. Add it whenever you get back and I highly doubt that your beer will be any worse for it.

Thanks for the help with settling my nerves on this beer.
I do have another issue that came up: I want to bottle this beer tomorrow, so I checked on the gravity and it came out at 1.015. It is supposed to be at 1.010 to 1.012. I had also tasted the sample and it had a very strong alcohol flavor when it went down. It smells like a Belgian style beer and the color is good, but the after taste of alcohol is very strong. Why is this and will this go away with aging?

This beer has been in primary for two weeks at constant temps. between 66 and 68 F.

Thanks again guys, I think I am freaking out cause I don't have any homebrews to enjoy yet :mug:

Ok, thats kinda what I've been noticing on here as I did a search after my post.
Would it be ok to just leave my beer in the primary for another 2 weeks and then worry about bottling? From what I have been reading some people prefer to leave big beers on the yeast cake for a month so that the yeast can "clean up" after themselves.

"On all my beers, I let the flavor be the judge of when to bottle. if it has that alcohol bite, then it needs more time in the fermenter. It'll age out bulk a lot faster than in the bottle."

I brewed a clone of this and I know I'm late to this thread ...I hope you added the concentrate into primary before racking it. It will kick up fermentation again, and you do need to stir it after you do so. Its a key part of this brew.

Back