embarassing: broken thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discoross

Reaction score
A thermometer broke. It was the kind with the black beads at the bottom. Seemed empty or vacuuous on the inside. The part containing the black beads broke and I lost a majority of the beads while seeping before the boil. The inner section that resembles an actual thermometer is intact.

Swallowing beads aside, is this an issue?

And the broken glass, too. I did this once, too. While it is likely that the glass and beads will be at the bottom of your pot and if you are careful you can leave it all behind, I just decided that i didn't want to run any risk of my family or friends swallowing glass. So I cursed, shook my fist at the heavens, cursed some more and dumped it.

When you buy a replacement thermometer do yourself a favor and get a good one with a stainless steel probe. Both the round dial type and digital probe style are a huge improvement over those chintzy little glass jobs.

I really like the good quality floating thermometer that I use, much better than the probe style I used before. Personal preference.

Latest posts

Back