Ferm chamber- mold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southern_Junior

Reaction score
So I just made an stc-1000 and chest freeze into a ferm chamber. But I'm noticing lots of mold... What should I do?

Here is your quandry, chest freezers were meant to freeze not be at fermentation temps. If i go the deep chest route (vs say a fridge or a dedicated ferm chamber) here is what i would do: install a fan to circulate air and then i would tackle the dampness/sweat buying some baking soda and putting some towels down in the bottom and rotating them out every fermentation cycle. Bottom line: there is no way to avoid mold buy a fridge to ferment in and turn that sucker in to a keezer

Go to Amazon and search "pingi". It's a reusable dehumidifier sachet that I use in my keezer and ferment chamber.

For mold around the gasket, have to clean it well. It didn't grow there overnight.

I also use Damp Rid (from any hardware store, etc) and a small computer CPU fan I got for cheap off amazon.

+1 to damp rid and a fan. I've heard good things about the reusable dehumidifiers.

Back