Hot water tank AS HLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gitapaynts

Reaction score
I'm finally starting to build a proper rig. Went over tentative plans with my grandfather this weekend (formerly ran gas and water utilities for the small town he lives in). He wondered why I would not just use a water heater as my HLT, being it is what it is already designed to do (keep a bunch of water hot, efficiently).

Anyone out there seen this done or have any thoughts about it. I assume expense may be people's first reservations, but I think I can get a natural gas 30g for $400 or less, and being essentially plug and play, I think it is probably worth it. Also it would be more efficient than a burner under a SS keg, since it is insulated.

My second concern is it may not easily reach 170F, though I would like to think this shouldn't be a problem, since homebrewers use these heating elements to build HLTs....?

Thanks for the advice, and I promise to start a thread with the build as it gets underway this spring...

Cheers!

The stock controller won't let you set the temp to 175F. The limit is probably around 140F but if you can figure out how to defeat the stock controller, great. If you end up having to add your own controller, you start getting to the point where building your own vessel is cheaper.

Commercial ones can go to 180, I believe. I have one that I cut the top out of and changed out the temperature controller to a Ranco. I was going to use it except I got it used and was kinda gross inside, lots of buildup. Now, I'm thinking of using it as the heat supply for a HERMS.

If you do use one, I wouldn't hard plumb it. If you take some water out, cold water comes in and changes the temperature, not what you want with an HLT. If you turn off the cold supply, water will stop flowing after awhile unless air can come in.

Good reason not to overheat your HWH.

Of course this is worst case scenario.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe one of the tankless (instant) commercial heaters will go that high, but then its the cost issue again.

Back