Hi from Columbus, OH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mojnet

Reaction score
After about a half year of lurking, I thought I'd introduce myself. I've been brewing since last December and I'm on my sixth all-grain batch. I didn't believe my buddy when he said it was addictive. The hobby, that is -- well, the beer too :)

I have plans to move to a three-tiered gravity flow system in the near future. In fact, I feel as if I have been newly initiated in the craft. Just today I was laughed at by about three places when I asked if they had any Sanke kegs laying around!

Oh well...

I'm glad to be on the boards!

Hey if you would have spoken up a week ago or so you could have met me out for some tasters at Barleys...

2601645904_2785c307ea.jpg

or at the Elevator

2601646312_6f4de3d89c.jpg

Those look good! I've lived here for four years, and I still don't know the places in town for getting a decent drink. If I have to meet friends at BW3's one more time....

Is Barleys on High Street? Just north of the convention center and the Hyatt? If that's the place, I was just there last night. One of my favorite places when I'm in Columbus!

Oops...Welcome to the board Mojnet!

Yup...very good! I wasn't expecting as big of a beer at first, so once I got past that initial sweetness I found it to be very tasty! I also had the Pilsner and Pale Ale. I just found Barleys the last time I was in town a month ago or so. I like how they will bring in other microbrews from across the country to feature, in addition to their in house brews.

I made that beer at barley's. I think they bring in other beers because they do have limited space and it's hard for them to keep up with production.

Those look good! I've lived here for four years, and I still don't know the places in town for getting a decent drink. If I have to meet friends at BW3's one more time....

Head over to the OSU campus. There ought to be bars around, or people who know where they are.

I made that beer at barley's. I think they bring in other beers because they do have limited space and it's hard for them to keep up with production.

Hats off to ya King. Very good beer...most of the house brews that I have tried have been great. I like the touch of bringing in other beers...I get to try something that I may not have had the opportunity to try. How often do you guys brew?

I don't brew there I just won last years homebrew compitition and the prize was I got to brew at barleys

I remember going to BW3 in Columbus, OH. I was working at a Navy recruiting station on High Street across the street from the OSU campus. Every tuesday we would get the 12 cent wings and do our best not to get the sauce on our white uniforms :)

Price may date me a little bit. It was back in 1990.

I think they're up to 25 cent wings on Tuesdays. And they do offer great prices on some of their draft beer. Even so, I think it's time that I look around campus and downtown for some other watering holes. Although, I confess that OSU is bit overwhelming for a non-Columbusite (and for someone whose college days are long over).

About this Barleys place... from the discussion I take it that it is highly recommended. Would anyone know if the brewmaster there is the co-owner of the Winemaker's shop on High, or am I thinking of another place?

Welcome to the forum Mojnet! I live in Delaware, OH and have a few fellow brewing friends in the area. We try and get together every chance we can to brew. We just got together at my place last weekend. Check out the pics in this post: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=59720

We're going to have another one soon, hopefully, so you should try and make it up!

I know what you mean about the campus area being "overwhelming" when you're not from the area. I dont venture down there too often so I dont know of any good places either. I do hit up BJ Brewhouse at Polairis quite often. Great food...good beer. They dont brew the beer there but it is pretty good.

The winemaker is about 1/2 mile from me; yeah his wife, Nina, owns it. Both are really nice people. Their PintO'Java stout is out of this world! I would love to have a recipe similar to it.

We're going to have another one soon, hopefully, so you should try and make it up!

I'd definitely like to come up and see what everyone's up to. I bet I could really learn a thing or two, being relatively new to all this. Let me know when you're planning to meet. Thanks! --- Moj

I'd definitely like to come up and see what everyone's up to. I bet I could really learn a thing or two, being relatively new to all this. Let me know when you're planning to meet. Thanks! --- Moj

Check the MOBS thread periodically. We'll make sure to post a date with plenty of notice for anyone that wants to come.
:mug:

Welcome, I hate travailing but I must admit when I go to Columbus Ohio I really don't mind it as long as you don't have 3 feet of snow covering my rental car when I wake up, oh and I don't remember where I parked due to jetlag.
I have always had a great time hanging around German town, great little pubs, restaurants etc, the OSU area is a little to young for me, but great in small doses.

Back