CPU fan to 12V DC charger connections

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naked_Eskimo

Reaction score
If I want to add a CPU fan to my keezer, I understand that I can continuously power the fan using a normal 12V DC power supply from any old cell-phone.

Please correct me if I am wrong: but for the wiring, I would wire red-to-red and black-to-black from the CPU fan to the charger, and just leave the yellow wire (fan speed) from the fan alone?

Anyone done this before?

Yeah. I'm implemented a lot of those power supplies. Three things you need to verify:

1. Voltage polarity (which you did)
2. Correct voltage (which you did)
3. Current capacity of power supply. Power supplies should list a max current. A fan should be negligible, but in good practice, you should measure current draw and make sure that the power supply is sufficient.

Also, make sure you insulate each wire to prevent shorts. Heat shrink wrap or electrical tape will do.

yes, 3 wire fans the yellow is rpm,, on 4 wire fans the yellow is rpm and the white is pulse width modulation

most fans wound run if you reverse the + / - leads, and you can damage them if you do

Yeah. I'm implemented a lot of those power supplies. Three things you need to verify:

1. Voltage polarity (which you did)
2. Correct voltage (which you did)
3. Current capacity of power supply. Power supplies should list a max current. A fan should be negligible, but in good practice, you should measure current draw and make sure that the power supply is sufficient.

Also, make sure you insulate each wire to prevent shorts. Heat shrink wrap or electrical tape will do.

My charger is an old Blackberry charger. On the back it says output 0.75A (750mA). So I need to make sure that the fan does not require more than that, correct...else I'll overheat the charger?

That's plenty for a typical 80 or 120mm pc fan. They only go up 200mA or so unless you have an extreme version. Hopefully yours is labeled or just borrow a multimeter from someone.

Latest posts

Back