Most *economical* partial mash batch - suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerbrew

Reaction score
Alright - here's the deal:

1. I'm basically dirt poor.

2. I still want to make some beer.

3. I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions (or just perhaps as an exercise or experiment in cheap brewing solutions) for a good beer recipe that could keep total costs down as low as $12 dollars or so excluding everything but the bare minimum of actual brewing materials.

I'm hoping for some interesting responses here, and I'll definitely brew one if it sounds intriguing enough AND makes the money cut.

Remember - poverty stricken. That is the name of the game. :tank:

1. buy case of natural light
2. buy box of lipton (some people claim to get good results with store-brand also) tea.
3. steep
4. enjoy

You're probably going to want to go with something like a mild.

Try something like this:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f67/march-brown-mild-98713/
Convert it to PM using as much grain as you can do with your system and it should be fairly inexpensive. I don't know about $12 inexpensive, but it'll be on the cheap. Use a dry yeast like US-04. With my PM system, I could do this with very little extract.

Use deathbrewer's easy stovetop all grain instructions. You only need two grain bags, and doing AG is cheaper than partial mash or extract using this method.

Use deathbrewer's easy stovetop all grain instructions. You only need two grain bags, and doing AG is cheaper than partial mash or extract using this method.

I agree. This method with the one above for a Mild or other low ABV, low hop beer would be your best bet.

Extract is way too expensive to meet your $12 per batch goal. IMO you will need to go all grain and be buying by the sack to reach that price point.

My advice would be to do a batch of Ed's Applewine while you are scrounging for a free cooler (future MLT) and some large pots to enable you to do all grain brewing.

Just for kicks, I'll leave you with my recipe for a very inexpensive american wit beer, a spaghetti wheat as I call it.

3 lbs thin spaghetti, 3 times overcooked (basicly cook it and simmer for an hour or four so the pasta is almost like the noodles in Campbells Chicken Noodle soup.

6 lbs two row.

1 lb quick oats

Mash the pasta w/ the 2 row and oats at 154 for 90 minutes (you may need to infuse boiling water during the mash to maintain temps)? Depending on you lautering system, rice hulls may be a good idea.

Boil w/ one ounce halertau for one hour. Half ounce coriander and one pound orange marmalaide added w/ 5-10 minutes left in the boil.

Ferment mid sixties w/ S-05.

Latest posts

Back