Force Carb in 6 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesweetlycool

Reaction score
I realize that this might be repetitive but i couldn't find an answer to my exact question. Have a keg of stout that needs to be ready to serve in 6 days. It's been in the fridge since yesterday and should be nice and cold now and I want to have to carbed for 6 days from now.

What is the best way to force carb a keg in 6 days, without having to roll it or shake it? I've seen something about 30psi for 48hrs and then dialing it down to serving pressure.. but i wanted a few clarifications that this works.

Also, what is the best serving pressure if we have short lines? Im thinking around 5-10psi would be good without putting out too much foam?

Thanks for the help!

I usually carb as follows:

1.) Get keg cold, turn on the gas to 30 psi and let sit for 36 hours.
2.) Turn off gas, let sit for 12-24 hours.
3.) Relieve excess pressure (relief valve), turn pressure down to 10 psi and leave alone.

The beer should be fully carbed in 4-5 days using this method. My serving pressure, even with only 4ft of line, is still set at 8 psi.

3.) Relieve excess pressure (relief valve), turn pressure down to 10 psi and leave alone.

The beer should be fully carbed in 4-5 days using this method. My serving pressure, even with only 4ft of line, is still set at 8 psi.

Im assuming you have the co2 tank inside the fridge, is this safe?

Im assuming you have the co2 tank inside the fridge, is this safe?

Safe?....Of course it's safe. Mine was purchased new with the CO2 bottle inside.... It also came with the nice aluminium tank...no rust issues. Where you run into problems is when you get a steel one from the gas supplier. That will RUST. Never swap out your aluminium tank if you have one..... Find someplace to fill it. If you started out with a steel one....then swap away.

This will work and is pretty much exactly what I do. If you want to speed things up, shake the keg at 12 and 24 hours.

One more quick qustion on this.. after turning down to 10psi.. is the keg fully carbed or should i be left at 10psi for a certain amount of time?

I left mine at 32 for 36 hours and then 15 for an additional 24 hours. I had the first glass this evening and it needed a wee more co2. I will update tomorrow evening. I am leaving it at 15 until it tastes right. It is also a Hefe, which requires more co2 anyway... I planned on leaving my regulator at 12 once it starts to taste right.

Back