Vanilla porter experimentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homer_jg

Reaction score
Hey, I'm relatively new to brewing. I've got a few kits under my belt but would like to play around a bit. I'm doing a vanilla porter next, and I'd like to try adding some bourbon and fresh nutmeg. I'm curious if anyones tried something similar or could offer advice as to how much to add and during which stage of the process. Thanks

I've working on a Vanilla Bourbon Porter that is in the secondary right now. I've been steeping two vanilla beans (quartered) in 4 oz. of bourbon since I brewed the Porter. I plan on strainging out the beans and seeds and adding the bourbon to the priming sugar/water solution in the bottling bucket, then bottling.

I did one that turned out wonderfully. I used 6 vanilla beans split in the secondary and a 750ml of good bourbon in the bottling bucket with the priming sugar. After a couple of months this beer has aged well and is very pleasant with a good vanilla smell and a sweet bourbon after taste.

I have to robust vanilla porter from "brewing Classic Styles" in primary right now. I may have to try the Bourbon Variant. I have 1 vanilla been split in the primary right now, I added it during the last 5 minutes of boil as per the recipe, though the recipe did not say to split it or keep it in the primary.

Did a little googling and I found Denny Conn's Vanilla Porter. He recomends 10ml of bourbon per pint. for my 6gal batch that's about 16oz. So I used the last 8oz of my wild turkey and 8oz of Knob creek. I split two Vanilla beans in half lengthwise and across and cleaned out all the seeds and dropped the seeds and beans into the bourbon.

Fermentation should be done in 2-2.5 weeks and the bourbon should be really vanilla by then.

My last batch was a Vanilla Porter, and it was by far the best beer I've produced. I sliced, scraped and soaked 2 beans in vanilla vodka for about a month, and tossed the entire thing in when I racked to secondary. (see the link in my sig for details)

I will definitely be doing this recipe again, but think I might go with 3 beans next time.

Back