Protein Rest For First All Grain Batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am finally making the jump from extract to all grain. I'm planning to use 3lbs of flaked rice and a half poud of flaked corn in my first recipe. I'm curious if I should be doing a protein rest or not. Whats everyones opion on this? Also If I do the rest should I do it to all the grain or just the the flaked grain?

It depends on the malt you are using. Protein rests on most domestically available malts can rob the beer of body. I don't understand why new "all grain" brewers feel they need to step mash. Maybe because it sounds cool, I don't know. The general rule of thumb is under modified malts benefit from protein rests and fully modified malts do not. Read my informational post https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/malt-modification-how-read-malt-analysis-sheet-143252/

I am finally making the jump from extract to all grain. I'm planning to use 3lbs of flaked rice and a half poud of flaked corn in my first recipe. I'm curious if I should be doing a protein rest or not. Whats everyones opion on this? Also If I do the rest should I do it to all the grain or just the the flaked grain?

All the grain must be mashed together.

Latest posts

Back