Filtering My Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlemingsFinest

Reaction score
I would like to filter my beer after it reaches terminal gravity and I move it to the bottling bucket for bottling. I was just wondering what the most effective method is, and what the "do's and dont's are" for this process.

if you don't keg then, you shouldn't bother. You'll need pressure to push the beer thru the filter. Usually its done keg to keg with the filter in between. For clearer beer try cold crashing combined with gelatin while in the fermentor. Oncve in the bottle I have noticed the longer you leave it in the fridge the clearer it becomes.

+1 to what's been said. If you filter your yeast out, you can't carb with priming sugar. You'd have to add more yeast, and then you're going to get sediment in the bottles because you primed them.

so, you're filtering only to add more sediment again. why?

I've heard isinglass is a better fining if you're going for a clear beer (put in secondary at least 8 days before bottling). Did you use irish moss at all during the boil?

Even when you bottle condition, filtering can be useful because you are filtering out proteins and dead yeast. Almost all brewers that bottle condition beer, first filters then add yeast back to the beer before bottling yeilding bright beer. I don't filter but it would be cool to do at home. You would need a filters specifically designed for beer. A 1 micron filter will not remove proteins, they are far smaller.

Latest posts

Back