Point Cascade Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougan

Reaction score
I really liked this beer. I'm not a hophead like some of you double IPA people but I still do have a good appreciation for hops, and I've been on a cascade kick recently so I've been getting random APAs. Putting the word "Cascade" in the title of an American PA is a bit redundant but I can see why they did it. I would compare this in many ways to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale in the way that the Cascade aroma is very defined and noticeable without an overpowering bitterness. Most other American Pale Ales that I've had still have a potent hop flavor and aroma, but I think the actual cascade citrusy-ness stands out stronger here.

I think that if you come across this beer it's definitely worth checking out, especially if you like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale as they are very similar in all regards.

In my opinion, this beer cannot be compared to a Hop Devil, a Two-Hearted, or even a relatively inexpensive Goose Island. But.... if I were to limit myself to $5, I'd put it against just about every other beer on the shelf simply because you won't find another $5 IPA.... I've tried. An $8 sixer of Goose Island is better, as are a $10 sixer of Bells or Victory. But again, they're nearly twice the price.

Want a true, hoppy, clean finishing IPA, go with the higher price. Want a micro-ish taste at a bud light price.... give the Point a shot.

In my opinion, this beer cannot be compared to a Hop Devil, a Two-Hearted, or even a relatively inexpensive Goose Island. But.... if I were to limit myself to $5, I'd put it against just about every other beer on the shelf simply because you won't find another $5 IPA.... I've tried. An $8 sixer of Goose Island is better, as are a $10 sixer of Bells or Victory. But again, they're nearly twice the price.

Want a true, hoppy, clean finishing IPA, go with the higher price. Want a micro-ish taste at a bud light price.... give the Point a shot.

Well, you're right- it won't compare to a good IPA. But that's because it's NOT an IPA. Compare it to Sierra Nevada, or another American Pale Ale, and I think you'll find it is not that bad.

From the website:

Point Cascade Pale Ale is handcrafted combining special top-fermenting yeast and a dry hopping process to create this truly classic American Pale Ale. The intriguing character is derived from generous quantities of the choicest Yakima Valley Cascade hops and the finest crystal, 2 row pale, and Munich malts. The result is a delicious American Pale Ale with a signature fragrant hop bouquet and soft malt palate.
Introduced: May, 2004
Availability: Year Round
Malts: Crystal, 2 row pale, and Munich malts
Hops: Yakima Cascade

Suggested Pairings: Poultry, steak, seafood and beef burgundy.

I love Two Hearted as much as the next guy(?), but to say this pales next to it (get it, pales?) isn't fair. It'd be like comparing Newcastle to Big Foot Stout. Different styles, different tastes.

Point Pale Ale is a good standard every day American pale ale.

Thread tangent. Point brewery doesn't get the recognition it deserves..Their flagship beer, has won gold at the gabf, and this year their americian wheat won gold. Loves me some point!

Back