25mm shell casing tap handle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feldmann

Reaction score
I bought a 25mm shell casing from a surplus store and I was looking at making a tap handle out of it similar to the picture below, however I can't figure out how to attach a ferule to the neck of the shell. The ferule I have is too small for the neck. I've seen a few people punch out the primer and attach it to the bottom, but I'd prefer to have it like the photo below. Any tips for anyone that might have done something similar? Thanks!

7X8a68vl.jpg

In the copper pipe reducer I used, I found some nuts that would fit the tap bolt and shaped them to fit within the copper reducer, They were tight enough that I don't need any epoxy or JB weld but that was in the original plan.
p1392638159-4.jpg

I have those shells on a twin shift in my early bronco and used the same principal but epoxied the nuts in there since they would have more force than a tap handle
p1001314192-3.jpg

Brett

What's the inside diameter of the business end of that cartridge?

There are inserts that will provide the 3/8”-16 UNC female threads needed, woodworkers use a few styles for constructing furniture and cabinets. The question is how wide/thick an OD you need for a tight fit...

Cheers!

Find a wooden dowell thats press fit or sand one down so its a tight press fit that you can cut to length to "bottom out" against the top of the shell casing. Drill a hole in the dowell thats one drill size smaller than the od of the threaded tap handle and either tap threads into it or just screw the dowell onto the tap and let it cut threads as u screw it on.

Or epoxy a bung into it that has a tapped hole that threads in

Back