wort boil at 117

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean

Reaction score
can anyone calculate the gravity of the wort from the boiling point? I'm fairly sure of my thermometer.

Sean said:
can anyone calculate the gravity of the wort from the boiling point? I'm fairly sure of my thermometer.

Different elements in the solution affect the boiling point differently, so I don't think you can easily convery a boiling temp to a gravity without knowing the exact composition of the wort at pretty detailed level.

... as for your subject... 117° boiling point? I assume this is celsius? That translates to about 240-something degrees fahrenheit... seems pretty high to me. I have some doubts about the accuracy of that thermometer.

Granted, I've never measured the temp of my wort while boiling, but I'm pretty sure my stove couldn't get it that hot.

-walker

Not with any accuracy. The problem is that each of the sugars in the wort changes temperature in a different fashion.

Back