Rager - Tinseth - Daniels - Garetz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scarlessmeanie

Reaction score
I have seen these different calculations all over the place, and I know that they calculate IBUs differently. What I want to know is what that difference is? Does anyone have any answers?

The difference is they are different formulas that approximate IBUs, look up the actual formulas and it will be immediately evident why. However, the details don't really matter, the key is to stick with one formula and use that so you can make comparisons between your own beer.

the key is to stick with one formula and use that so you can make comparisons between your own beer.

This is the correct answer.

I always use tinseth. It calculates IBUs much lower than Rager, since it doesn't value flameout hops as high. I know what 60IBU in tinseth translates for my beers. That's all that matters.

When I see a recipe that claims to be say: 80IBU, I plug it into my tinseth calculator to see how it compares to my beers. I don't trust the arbitrary IBU numbers that are thrown around. Just pick a formula, and stick with it.

Back