Using Liquid Malt Extract Instead of Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poyboy

Reaction score
Hey there.
I just made a simple ginger beer following a recipe that uses:

1.75Kg sugar
800G Fresh Ginger
Ale yeast
and
20L of Dechlorinated water

I thought it tasted ok but a bit on the wine-ee sort of side and i was thinking about using a Dark Liquid Malt extract instead of the sugar next time i try making it, would anyone be able to tell me how much liquid malt to use in place of the sugar.
I looked on the web but i cant really find a reliable source

Thanx

Capt,

That sounds interesting. I assume that is for a 5 gal batch? Is this grated ginger root or some sort of an extract? How much and what hops?

Sorry, I am full of questions on this one.

Jim

Yep, 5 gallon batch. It's grated fresh ginger, added in steps. I use just a small amount of cascade hops. Find the recipe in the recipes tab under my avatar.

thanx for posting guys but nobodys answered my question
Does anyone know how much alcohol is produced by liquid malt extract in comparison with sugar in a 20L batch?
I think i might try 3.5KG and just hope the Qbrew calculator knows what its on about..

Sorry. Here's what BeerSmith shows me:

Sugar
1.75kg (3.85lb) = OG 1.035 = ABV 3.39

Briess Pilsen LME
2.27kg (5lb) = OG 1.038 = ABV 3.6

Most brands of extract are sold in 1.5kg (3.3lb) cans. So if you just use 2 cans you get:
3kg (6.6lb) = OG 1.050 = ABV 4.78

If you're trying to match your current brew more precisely, use dry extract.
Briess Pilsen Light DME
1.79kg (3lbs, 15oz) = OG 1.035 = ABV 3.37

Just finished bottling this last night. But today the beer seems to have cleared so decided to try a sip and it was really clean, barely any sweetness with a moderate hint of ginger and a fair bit of heat on the throat. I also took a page from captain damages book of knowledge and "dry hopped" 100grams of the ginger with vodka which i think is what made up most of the heat.
For a 2nd attempt on ginger beer i thought it was fairly successful with a taste not un-like what you would expect to be drinking from a bunderberg bottle... Providing it carbonates in the next week, which im thinking will probably not happen due to the bottles being at a temperature close to the inside of a fridge. whoops.

Third time lucky maybe

Back