I had my first Hill Farmstead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
Hill Farmstead Edward
With lots of talk about how fantastic there beer is and next to impossible to replicate I was more than excited to here a local bar had it on tap.I've known they served it for 6 months but never seemed to get around to making it there. So looking to go to lunch with my wife I specifically chose this bar/restaurant to try a Hill Farmstead. So we sat at the bar and I ordered the Hill Farmstead first so I'd have a clean Palate...My anticipation rose and she poured it...Finally after 6 months of waiting there it was in front of me. The look was Fantastic,hazy with a beautiful orange glow. The magical white whip cream looking head I've heard so much about did not disappoint. It truly was a fantastic looking beer. So I take my first sip working my way through the whip cream head, I picked up on the smooth bitterness that has been mentioned my times and possibly the whole reason for the flameout hop stand craze were in. Behind that the flavor was ultra dank and not really appealing. My heart sank.I would never order another one.Just because a beer looks good doesn't mean it taste good. I would however love to know how they get that whip cream looking head. Maybe their other beers are better but this was a letdown.
I'd put my IPA's up against it any day of the week.,,bummer

20170114_143045_resized.jpg

Another thing I don't get about these beers -- how are you supposed to drink that with your old-timey moustache?

Kidding aside, good on you for getting out and trying it for yourself.

I'm usually what some would call a "hater" with hyped up popular beers. The more hype a beer has the more I critique it. I was on a work trip in Boston a couple months ago and was lucky enough to try 4 different Hill Farmstead beers on tap. I could not find a single bad thing about them! The aroma, mouth feel, and taste all stood up to my expectations and then some. Different people, different taste...

I'm usually what some would call a "hater" with hyped up popular beers. The more hype a beer has the more I critique it. I was on a work trip in Boston a couple months ago and was lucky enough to try 4 different Hill Farmstead beers on tap. I could not find a single bad thing about them! The aroma, mouth feel, and taste all stood up to my expectations and then some. Different people, different taste...
It could have been the hype. I was expecting a magical experience I suppose. The $9 12 oz pour probably didn't help. It was the oniy Hill Farmstead they had. I wanted to like there beer so much I would have and still will go back when they have a different beer and spend another $9 on a beer. There has to be one that will blow me away

I recently was able to try Trillium, I have to say, I wasn't impressed with all the hype.

Now a few that I do love that also have a bunch of hype are Pliny the Elder, Heady and focal banger, and my favorite to date, Julius.

Like said above though, different people different tastes.

Every Hill Farmstead beer I've had has been incredible. The mouthfeel they achieve is amazing. Maybe you were expecting too much. Maybe the Keg was old. Definitely give it another try.

Back