One month ago I wasn't intending to be a homebrewer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mauvebib

Reaction score
Hi all,

A conversation with a coworker last month introduced me to fresh wort kits which lowered the bar for me.

Now I find that I own a conical fermenter, corny keg, rapt pill and controller and have even setup a page in home assistant showing my temps, sg and even a camera feed!

My first beer is a Belgian wit with LalBrew Premium Series - Wit Belgian yeast.

It's looking good so far and I will hopefully keg it tomorrow night.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230507-155248.png
    Screenshot_20230507-155248.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I've never seen a fresh wort kit, but now that you have some gear and a brew almost done, perhaps you'll make your own wort.
All you need is a pot, a kitchen stove, a thermometer, a BIAB bag and some grain.

I've never seen a fresh wort kit, but now that you have some gear and a brew almost done, perhaps you'll make your own wort.
All you need is a pot, a kitchen stove, a thermometer, a BIAB bag and some grain.
Yes, that will be the next step. I have plans for an old style Sapporo clone and then trying to recreate my grandfather's old cider recipe

pilsners are a good challenge. Took me years to really get one of those right, flavor and clarity (many process and equipment changes, too).
Silly me thought a pilsner would be easier than my final target which is a copy of a Weihenstephaner hefe

Silly me thought a pilsner would be easier than my final target which is a copy of a Weihenstephaner hefe
coincidentally, a german hefe is the easiest beer to make if you choose the correct yeast. I've always recommended this one to new brewers. Temperature doesn't matter, clarity not desired, yeast provides all the flavor, and can be made with a single malt extract.

You know your mama told you, "don't go too deep in that brew water!" Now looks what happened. That's really exciting.

Just a quick update, three days ago I transfered to the keg and being Mr impatient tasted straight away!

It was too warm and carbonation was too low but that improved over the next two days, here's the semi-final result.

The carbonation is a bit much but it's acceptable to me as a first attempt.

The fermenter didn't get an hours test and I've got a quick apple cider running through it now until I can pick up my yeast and hops next week (it's both good and bad being only 30 minutes away from kegland!)

Attachments

• PXL_20230512_052646588.jpg
    PXL_20230512_052646588.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back