Midwest cream stout secondary fermentation transfer ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaos2984

Reaction score
Ok so i started a cream stout 2 weeks ago. I let it sit for 2 weeks then transferred it today to a secondary fermenter. But i measured it and its a little high. I started high it was at 1.054 SG and today I'm at 1.024 SG Im wondering if i transferred it a little early or is it still ok. The yeast was a little old it sat for 2 months in the fridge before i used it. Had to many beers going not enough room in the fridge for more lol. Everything looks and tastes ok at this stage.

What you brew masters think ?

That is a little high for your SG. Which yeast did you use, what temp did you ferment? Did you take another reading or check your hydrometer to make sure it is properly calibrated?

The yeast was probably fine. If I remember correctly that particular beer has dark LME in it. In my experience dark LME does not ferment as completely as gold or amber LME.

Its one of the many bad stout recipes the load up on dark extract for color. 1.024 is high, but it probably wont go a lot lower. give it some time.

6lbs dark LME
8oz 80 crystal
8oz black malt

I'm usually an oh well, live and learn type but that sounds grossly sweet. At this point I would throw in a pack of us-05 or Nottingham and/or add up to a pound of sugar to kick that fermentation back up and dry it out. But I don't like sweet beers. Your taste preference may vary.

Back