Rye Pale Ale hop schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kzoobrew

Reaction score
I am brewing a Rye Pale Ale this weekend and trying to nail down a hop schedule. We are looking for bigger flavor and aroma but without as much bitterness.

Grain Bill:
65% Light DME
12% Rye Malt
12% Munich Malt
8% Honey Malt
8% Victory Malt

Hop Schedule:
.5oz Amarillo 30 min
.5oz Citra 30 min
.75oz Amarillo 15min
.75oz Citra 15min
.75oz Amarillo 5min
.75oz Citra 5min

We will dry hop in the secondary, but not too worried about nailing those details down just yet. Any input would be appreciated.

If it were me, I'd up the rye to a minimum of 15 percent, but probably 20. Rye malt is less intense than flaked rye, and I use (I think) about 22 percent flaked in my RyePA. The honey is probably more than I'd like, too, though I don't think it'll be overpowering.

New calculations for grain bill:

58% Light Dry Malt Extract
21% Rye Malt
11% Munich Malt
5% Victory Malt
5% Honey Malt

Added grain lowers IBU's by about two which is fine by me. Any opinion on the hop schedule?

While I lack experience and the knowledge that would provide I have done quite a bit of reading. I was thinking about more of a hopbursting technique. Hypothetically this would still contribute some bitterness but a much smoother bitterness with a fuller hop flavor and aroma.

Hop bursting doesn't dispense with the bittering hops; rather, it shifts the emphasis from bittering to flavor and aroma. It's what I do as well. This will add very little in the way of actual bitterness, and the beer will taste unusually sweet. You'll still need some bittering.

Back