Brew Strong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
I just heard an advertisement for a new brew cast on the Brewing Network, BREW STRONG hosted by john palmer and mr.malty (jamil). It sounds like a great hosting line up to me.

With the Jamil show ending in a few months (they will have covered every style), I figured that they would come up with something else to keep Jamil involved.

I've never been able to get into TBN shows...They're 80 percent idiotic banter, 15 percent of useless music breaks (this ain't commercial radio guys, you don't need to cut away) and 5 percent real brewing info...When I want to listen to a podcast about brewing, I actually want brewing information...That's why I like Basicbrewing radio, at least it's an hour of brewing info...

Hopefully JP/Jamil, will be better...

I listen to both podcasts and I like them both, but I have to say I respect BasicBrewing Radio a bit more. James Spencer isn't quite as arrogant as Jamil.

I like Jamil's approach to brewing a whole lot, and am really glad they're keeping him involved. It's clearly hard to do a show about every style, as the tricks to brewing the styles aren't that unique, so the info gets a little repetitive after a while. I don't so much mind the repetition though, as it keeps me from developing bad habits. I think involving John Palmer should be a good thing; the new show won't so much be Jamil holding court as a conversation between two expert brewers (even though Jon Plise has a lot of success in competitions, he still defers to Jamil on everything).

I enjoy the Jamil show with John, yes they banter but there is good information and for a newer brewer I really like hearing some of the specifics about each style.

i herd that too...and i just bought one of their recipe books...it is reallllly good. I don't care for brewing network that much...they never get to the point! :(

I enjoy TBN for 2 reasons. 1 is that I listen to them instead of morning talk radio so they are fun for the drive to and from work. 2. I do learn new things without having to listen to only beer information. There aren't many places where you're going to hear from so many award winning homebrewers and pro's.

Commercial breaks with music are so they have time to pee or get more beer. Sometimes the show runs 4 or 5 hours.

I look forward to seeing or hearing I guess what Jamil's new show is like.

I learn a lot from them. If their programming was solid beer brewing lessons I would probably learn less becuase of a knowledge overload. After 12 hours of solid beer brewing info, what else would be left to talk about? I prefer the drip method of learning. I use this forum the same way. Learn a bit, hang out in drunken rants, learn a bit, hang out again......

I listen while I brew and I do miss a lot of things, I like to listen to the Jamil show for the style I'm brewing while I'm heating the strike water. I will some times go back and re listen to the show to catch the things I missed.

I like the Jamil Show, banter and all. Sure you can read about the styles, in his book or his style articles for BYO Magazine, but hearing someone talk about them, and hearing the enjoyment or passion in their voice, amkes them that much more enticing, and makes me want to try many more styles than I have ever wanted just reading them. And I agree, if it was condensed into just the "necessary" info i would learn less... a lot of the times the digressions teach me something interesting about the properties of different malts, the ways a judge thinks, and how to brew better. plus the banter is amusing. i am excited for the new show.

i have actually never listened to basic brewing network podcasts, though they will be queued up soon. Luckily, throughout this summer I am working a temp job that involves a lot of filing and data entry, so i spend all day listening to people talk about beer!

I dont know, Ive listened to Jamil's quite a bit before......and well while he knows an absolute ****load of info on every style of brewing you can imagine, hes just not that entertaining. Now take Justin, JP and the guys at the brewing network. They make 3 hours of beer broadcast enjoyable.

If Im brewing a style Im not that familiar with sure, Ill download Jamil's podcast on that style and see what he has to say. But this show with Palmer and JZ, I don't know....we'll see I suppose. I'll give it a try at least

Summary of the show from my perspective:

John P: So ingredient X gives the beer this Y characteristic.

JZ: Welllllllllll, er, more like Z but I like your enthusiasm.

John P: And if I wanted to try X to kick it up a notch......

JZ: Welllllllllll, you could but I wouldn't.

it seems impossible to stream the brewing networks broadcast. winamp? you gots to be kidding me...:drunk:

I do like it. Although he covers the styles in the book, he elaborates much more in the broadcast. Jamil's one hell of a nice guy and his success and knowledge base speak for itself.

For understanding styles, listening to the podcasts and referring to the book are fantastic. The dual media approaches hits a big audience.

I love the Jamil show. Second-best thing to ever happen to my brewing behind only this place. Lots of the humor is childish, but even my wife can listen to it without complaining when we're in the car. I mean, if it was JUST about the information, it would be a twenty minute show, but there's a reason I've listened to every episode of the Jamil Show and probably 10% of James Spencer's podcasts.

Jon used to bug the crap out of me, he'd ask questions that were so idiotic, I'm convinced he was just tossing up softballs for JZ. Much less of that lately. There's still an odd dynamic at work there between those guys, though...

I've never been able to get into TBN shows...They're 80 percent idiotic banter, 15 percent of useless music breaks (this ain't commercial radio guys, you don't need to cut away) and 5 percent real brewing info...When I want to listen to a podcast about brewing, I actually want brewing information...That's why I like Basicbrewing radio, at least it's an hour of brewing info...

Hopefully JP/Jamil, will be better...

I feel the same way...just didn't want to say it because a lot of people on this forum like TBN. I also listen to basic brewing radio because they actually talk about.....brewing.

I feel the same way...just didn't want to say it because a lot of people on this forum like TBN. I also listen to basic brewing radio because they actually talk about.....brewing.

I think you might want to give brew strong a try; I really think they will pack in a bunch of info.

I'm really looking forward to hearing what john palmer has to say about anything brewing related. I think that how to brew is a great brewing reference.

I like there show all of them and have learned alot. Once you can brew better than them well maybe you can put them down. At least they are trying to keep the homebrew/craftbrew alive what are you doing?

I like there show all of them and have learned alot. Once you can brew better than them well maybe you can put them down. At least they are trying to keep the homebrew/craftbrew alive what are you doing?

Down boy. What's your dog in this hunt?

Some people like information. Some people like banter and fluff.

Some people can't put up with one or the other.

Sorry for the resurrection, but I just tried listening to a handful of episodes of Brew Strong. I can't get past how Jamil sounds like an airline pilot talking over the in cabin speakers about half of the time (lots of ahhs and umms)... combine that with the 'commercial' breaks and worthless banter, Brew Strong is a loser for me.

Try listening to the Sunday session... My mind goes into screensaver mode. POWER DOWN!

Back