Sierra Nevada Torpedo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustym

Reaction score
I did a search on this and not much came up. I was wondering what most of you guys think of this beer. To me, it's one of SN's best beers. I usually find it on sale too! It's 7.2%ABV and nicely hopped for an everyday beer.

I love it and would like to try and clone it someday.

One of my favorites except when Celebration is available. I cloned the Celebration and came out remarkably close. Just finished the first batch on New Years Eve!:D

Bull

Torpedo and Celebration are both awesome. I would love to find a good clone recipe for both. bullinachinashop, do you have the recipe for Celebration?

I have it on my computer @ work. I'll post it tomorrow.
I basically researched other clone recipies and slightly modified them.
The clone couldn't be picked out as a different beer in appearance or aroma. The only thing I'll change is to add some gypsum next time to bring out the back end clean bittering.

Bull

I have their Celebration Ale on tap, which will be replaced with Torpedo once we finish up the Celebration Ale. I honestly like Torpedo better, but couldn't pass up the keg of Celebration.. both are great examples of American IPAs.

It's great. Speaking of which, it uses citra for flavoring, correct? Not bittering though, right?

Sorry, I forgot to download the recipe at work.
The hops are Chinook for bittering (60 min), Centennial for flavoring (10 min) and Cascade @ flameout and for dry hopping.
I'll try to focus more on HBT and less on work tomorrow.

Bull

Here's the recipe;
11 Gal.
25# 2 row
2# c 60
1# Munich
3.25oz Chinook@60 leaf
2.5oz Cascade@10 leaf
1.5oz Centennial@10 pellet
2.5oz Cascade@0 leaf
1.5oz Centennial@0 pellet
2oz Cascade dry hop
154 degrees 90 min
fly sparge
OG 1.074
FG 1.010
SRM 10.1
ABV 8.37
IBU's 66.5
Yeast WLP001 starer

Bull

ferment @ 63 degrees

For some reason, Torpedo came off as being overly bitter to me. The aroma was fantastic though. I really like Celebration though.

I honestly don't understand the appeal of either of these beers. Torpedo is overly bitter, and Celebration while slightly more balanced, just isn't balanced enough.

By far my favorite SN beers are the Northern / Southern Hemisphere Harvest beers. Absolutely incredible. Best wet hop ales i've ever had.

Here's the recipe;
11 Gal.
25# 2 row
2# c 60
1# Munich
3.25oz Chinook@60 leaf
2.5oz Cascade@10 leaf
1.5oz Centennial@10 pellet
2.5oz Cascade@0 leaf
1.5oz Centennial@0 pellet
2oz Cascade dry hop
154 degrees 90 min
fly sparge
OG 1.074
FG 1.010
SRM 10.1
ABV 8.37
IBU's 66.5
Yeast WLP001 starer

Bull

ferment @ 63 degrees

Awesome, and thanks!

Awesome,

Thanks, for posting this.

I don't think Torpedo is that bitter. I had a couple last night and was taking my time and really tasting it. Such a great flavor!

Sure to be one of my favorites for a long time.

I've recently started liking hoppy beers, as opposed to malt bombs, and SNPA was the first I tried that I really liked, and within a few weeks found the hop presence lacking. Then I started drinking the Torpedo, also thought it was great, now I get the same feeling of wanting more hops in it. I can now understand the previously mysterious hop-head, as this hop business is a slippery slope it seems, as you just keep wanting more.

So yes, I too really like Torpedo, even thought I now crave more bitterness and flavor that it provides.

I buy the Torpedo more than any of their other beers, even though I like their porter the most (can't ever find a decently fresh one though) and I have to say next to Cigar City Jai Alai the torpedo is probably my favorite anytime IPA. I get a lot of raw hop peppery flavor and tons of citrus (like sticking your nose in a bag of freshly dried hops).

Also my favorite SN beer. Hoppy, but easily drinkable. Much better than Bigfoot.

I agree Torpedo is fantastic but it is hard to compare the two. Bigfoot is a Barleywine that is extremly hot when fresh. It is ment to be aged and mellowed. The hot hop profile fades and the big maltnyness of the brew comes forward. When Bigfoot comes out this year grab a case and age some. It gets better and better. I had an 07 last week and it is smooth and drinkable. Now that the 10's are a year old they are drinking nice.

Torpedo is an IPA and is ment to be drank as fresh as possible.

SN knows how to brew that is for sure. Has anyone tried their XXX grand cru? It is a blend of BF, celebration and one other brews. Fantastic

Cheers

I'm drinking SN Torpedo right now after shoveling my driveway all afternoon. Such a great beer. Hop bomb, but worth the attack when you get to the finish.

I'm hoping that the IPA I have bottled in my basement is similar. (still green though--only bottled 7 days ago)

Cheers!

Back