First Brew - Tertiary Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Nephilim

Reaction score
So my first brew is a brown ale. After pitching a vial of Wyeast Brown Ale yeast nothing happened after 48 hours. Desperate to save my brew we threw in a Vial of German Lager Yeast and put it in a special fridge my friend has to keep lagers at the right temp.

Left it in Primary for 9 days then transfered it to a secondary. There was a lot of crap on the bottom. After 9 days in scondary we noticed the gravity was still really high. He suggested we put in a dark area of the house and at room temp.

He said it's going nuts and getting quite of bit of fallout and not clearing up.

should we give it some more time then transfer to another carboy to clear up?

I have never made a real lager but it sounds to me that you may have had it at too low at temperature. When it warmed up it took off!
Leave it until it calms down (prob a week) and then rack to secondary.
I am no expert on lager yeasts though ;)

Either that, or you lagered for a little while, but then when you warmed it up the original brown ale yeast took off. This is going to be a very, very interesting beer.

The guy I mooch off his equipment has experience with lagering and set it for as he put it " a little warmer than normal" temp.

We tasted it when taking the SG its got a real crisp clean taste to it with a very sweet aftertaste.

I'm so excited about this and already planning a Belgian White.

DeathBrewer said:
that is going to be interesting. let us know the final result!

You're close enough it would take half an hour so you can taste it!

But yeah every we know said this one will be interesting. One person Called it a Lagered Brown Steam Ale

jaybird said:
still beer though... still beer:rockin:
JJ

Yep. So far it has a soft, almost playful brown ale taste followed by a super sweet taste.

I'm just hoping after tertiary storage it clears up and loses the sweetness. Were gonna take gravities on sat and sun before we rack it to tertiary

Latest posts

Back