Brewing Big Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PIGMAN

Reaction score
I just brewed an Extra IPA from a Brewers Best kit, and the OG came in at 1084, ( the instructions called for 1075 - 1079). Does a beer this size require more time conditioning in the bottle? I usually keep my brews in the primary for four weeks, then bottle.
Also, any ideas on why the OG would have been higher? The volume was five gallons, as per the instructions.
Thanks.

I just brewed an Extra IPA from a Brewers Best kit, and the OG came in at 1084, ( the instructions called for 1075 - 1079). Does a beer this size require more time conditioning in the bottle? I usually keep my brews in the primary for four weeks, then bottle.
Also, any ideas on why the OG would have been higher? The volume was five gallons, as per the instructions.
Thanks.

Yes, usually, but it's up to you. The higher the original gravity, the longer it takes to condition properly. I usually say that the best beer of any batch you brew is the last one you open. If I were you, I would do a 4 week primary and then rack to a secondary for another 4-6 weeks and then bottle condition for 4-6 weeks, but that's just me. And as far as your gravity being off, did you have to top off with water to reach 5 gallons? If so, it's probably not mixed and you took a sample from where it's still higher. Keep in mind though that those numbers on the kit are just estimates. While they are usually pretty accurate, you are not that far off. What I am saying is RDWHAHB. :tank:

Back