First AG pilsner... any tips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r2eng

Reaction score
Got the all-grain thing whipped now, with many successful ales.

My dad has requested a pilsner for Christmas, so I am following a recipe from Jamil's book.

Any pointers for lagering? I will be using Saflager S-23, and will be using the cool garage and a water bath to regulate the fermentation temp. I also understand the 90-minute boil for DMS reduction.

Thanks!

It might be getting a little too late for having a lager ready for Christmas since it's 4.5 weeks away:

~2 weeks in primary
4-6 weeks lagering
if bottling, add 3 more weeks

Yeah, it's only to be delivered in a keg by Christmas!

It's Jamil's "MyBurger", which is his Bitburger clone. Thought it sounded simple, and the ingredients were cheap and available locally.

Thanks for the yeast tip. I have had several no-go's with Wyeast lately, where the pack didn't expand at all (DOA), or took 4 days to kick and did not attenuate properly. I didn't want to double-pitch (cheap) or make a starter (lazy), but maybe I'll giver it a go once more.

Dry yeast has always done the job, so I was leaning that way.

All reports I have heard about S-23 is that it gives a fruity taste not unlike that of an ale yeast. I use S-189, but you might find it hard to get locally. I beleive it can be had by mail order from OZ.

Back