Krausen and such coming out airlock..what to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiseAgainstMe

Reaction score
Third beer and first time having this problem...its not coming out to crazy but the airlock is filled with beer and a little foam is coming out. So just leave it alone or what?

swap your bung with the airlock to a bung with tubing leading into a cup/jar/2 liter bottle of sanitizer or cleansing solution...that way it will blowoff easier through the tubing than through your airlock

If only I had tubing readily available...But yes I understand the blowoff tube. What if I just let it happen and then swap out a fresh bubbler when it calms down?

The airlock will likely clog and you'll get a geyser. Unless i have sufficient headspace in my fermenters I *always* use a blowoff tube for the first few days/week.

I'd suggest always using a blowoff tube. Personally, I just find it easier to pop it in and never worry about the airlock getting clogged.

If only I had tubing readily available...But yes I understand the blowoff tube. What if I just let it happen and then swap out a fresh bubbler when it calms down?

Yeah just replace it with another sanitized air-lock, it will be fine. I've had to do this several times before I started using a blow off tube, like the others are suggesting.

DSC03026.JPG

Don't worry I sanitized the cup first. It was the only quick fix I could think of. I got nice and sprayed when I took the bubbler out.

Ha thanks...and they are mostly below the cup just for the goop that coming out to soak into so I hope they are fine :drunk:

Back