How flavor your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wafflesbr0wn

Reaction score
Do you put your wood chips,tea bag or whatever u want to flavor your beer with, in during the brew period or after sometime it is done. Or, in the fermenter?

The timing totally depends on what you're adding. Even then, just like everything else, there are going to be different opinions. What are you looking to do?

Add some Hennessy soaked chips to a cream ale, just to try it out and see how it turns out

You'll want to add wood chips after fermentation is complete. I don't usually secondary but if you're going to age this for a while on the chips it would probably be a good idea. I think most beers aged with wood are left alone for at least a good 6 months.

Just made a dragons milk clone. Called to soak oak chips in bourbon and put it into a secondary for one week. Be careful with wood chips. 1 oz is enough for 5 gallons if you want more add it after tasting. If you add to much u will have to age for a long time to get the wood tones to mellow out.

I think most beers aged with wood are left alone for at least a good 6 months.

Do not leave those chips in there for very long. Chips impart their character very quickly and you'll be left with a beer that tastes like wood (especially if you started with a low flavor beer like a cream ale). If you want to age for a while, you should use cubes.

Back