How Beer Saved the World!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayblefty

Reaction score
Watching this movie on Netflix now called "How Beer Saved the World!" it is pretty interesting. Very entertaining. According to this movie, with all that beer has don't for man kind over the past 11,000 years, we are all modern day super heroes!!! Check it out. It's pretty good:)

It was straight propaganda. Leni Riefenstahl would be proud. I think it said it was made by coors.

That's not to say it wasn't fun to watch. I think a lot of it was tongue-in-cheek humor.

- Paul

That originally ran on Discovery Channel a while back. Some of their hypothesis are pretty far flung, but plausible. Great show though!

Watched it a few weeks ago and sounded like pure advertising.. I had had a few so I continued to watch, no way I could watch it sober!

The main bases of how beer saved the world, is that the different types of water around the world was not drinkable, so they came across beer by pure luck. The thing they didn’t understand that it was not the fermation of the brew that made the water drinkable, but it was the boiling of the wart. LOL

Gear101 said:
The main bases of how beer saved the world, is that the different types of water around the world was not drinkable, so they came across beer by pure luck. The thing they didn’t understand that it was not the fermation of the brew that made the water drinkable, but it was the boiling of the wart. LOL

Boiled water still goes bad again after a few days because of contamination. Back in the day it would have been stored in improperly cleaned vessels too, so it wouldn't be safe even boiled. Beer on the other hand has a lower ph and alcohol so it is safe even out of the nasty cups they would have used.

Boiled water still goes bad again after a few days because of contamination. Back in the day it would have been stored in improperly cleaned vessels too, so it wouldn't be safe even boiled. Beer on the other hand has a lower ph and alcohol so it is safe even out of the nasty cups they would have used.

true too, many reson they always had beer and rum on the boats, because the water in the holding cells would go bad over the long ocean crossing

Yep thats pretty much it. They didnt understand bacteriology at that point so they were like, "well water is making people dead. Drink rum and beer"!

The part that I thought as one of the most interesting points was the people would go to the church, aka brew like a monk, with their children to give thanks to god and get fresh water, a low ABV type of beer. The monks had fresh water for the people to drink and people would go a couple times a week to make sure they stayed hydrated.

If you can not tell I have watched it a couple times. LOL

I saw it a few days ago. It was very entertaining, but I cringed every time that they took a major change in human history and credited beer as the sole reason it happened...

I love the conspiracy theorists in here.

There have been multiple journal entries written about ancient man being intertwined with beer. Unless you have a degree in anthropology and have written peer-reviewed papers that say otherwise, shove it.

As for other ones, we don't need speculation since they occurred at a time when history was well documented. Louis Pasteur developed his Germ Theory from the study of beer and refridgeration was made a necessity mostly due to beer.

Reno_eNVy said:
I love the conspiracy theorists in here.

There have been multiple journal entries written about ancient man being intertwined with beer. Unless you have a degree in anthropology and have written peer-reviewed papers that say otherwise, shove it.

As for other ones, we don't need speculation since they occurred at a time when history was well documented. Louis Pasteur developed his Germ Theory from the study of beer and refridgeration was made a necessity mostly due to beer.

Have you actually seen it, or is this just trolling? They make outlandish claims. Things like it invented society. Sure, maybe growing grain was one reason, but unless they were there to see it then it's a theory. Also, it's really hard to say that one single factor let to a complex system. You don't have to be a historian to know that there are many factors that cause shifts in society. I have heard the same said about bread. In fact bread and beer at the time of society forming were almost indistinguishable. It's very muddy water and this program is one VERY extreme view of what could have happened, and I'm pretty sure it was meant to be a little humorous in its outlandish claims. You should really watch it.

Yeah I've seen it. But if you realized the cascade of the building of society you'd know we would have absolutely no need to stop being nomads and settle down if it weren't for agriculture.

And there is a growing contingency of professionals who believe beer predates bread.

Yeah I've seen it. But if you realized the cascade of the building of society you'd know we would have absolutely no need to stop being nomads and settle down if it weren't for agriculture.

And there is a growing contingency of professionals who believe beer predates bread.

Totally uneducated observation about this from me, but it seems plausible. It seems more likely that some combination of grain and water was left in a vessel (by purpose or accident) and eventually was fermented by wild organisms, than ancient nomads grinding the grain and baking it.

Have you actually seen it, or is this just trolling? They make outlandish claims. Things like it invented society. Sure, maybe growing grain was one reason, but unless they were there to see it then it's a theory. Also, it's really hard to say that one single factor let to a complex system. You don't have to be a historian to know that there are many factors that cause shifts in society. I have heard the same said about bread. In fact bread and beer at the time of society forming were almost indistinguishable. It's very muddy water and this program is one VERY extreme view of what could have happened, and I'm pretty sure it was meant to be a little humorous in its outlandish claims. You should really watch it.

Guess the claim in the documentary that is false
Outlandish claims that the Eygptians brewed beer and paid pyramid builders in beer?
The pilgims landed in plymouth cause they were out of beer?
Claims that the brewing process makes contaminated water from a duck pond safe for human consumption?

Totally uneducated observation about this from me, but it seems plausible. It seems more likely that some combination of grain and water was left in a vessel (by purpose or accident) and eventually was fermented by wild organisms, than ancient nomads grinding the grain and baking it.

This

Back