Driving an hour past my LHBS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan_PA

Reaction score
I am lucky in that, I have multiple LHBSs within an hour or so of my home. There is one very close, about 7 miles from my house and I pass it twice a day (to and from work). It is a nice operation run by a husband and wife, but the selection is so-so and most everything is overpriced in my opinion. I did stop in yesterday to pick up some things, including yeast for this weekends brew. The grain prices did not match what was listed on the site (there was a disclaimer saying this may happen on the site), they were out of carboy caps, and the yeast they did have was manufactured in August.
Perhaps I have been spoiled by the service, quality and pricing at Keystone homebrew. They are a full hour past the local shop, but the prices are the lowest I have seen, the yeast is always within 3 weeks of the manufactured date and the stock levels are incredible, especially if you see the limited real estate they operate with.

Does anyone else actually drive past one store, to go to one of higher quality?

I guess I'm lucky in that the closest LHBS to me is great. They have great competitive prices, good fresh stock and they're a "no bull **** kind of a place. I try to support them for the most part. Occasionally they won't have something I need and I'll either go elsewhere or order it online.

Yes, you're very lucky.

The nearest store to me is an hour away and it's not a very good store.

I drop in there a few times a year when I'm in the neighborhood and check their liquid yeast supply, since that's a tricky item to have shipped in the warm months.

But other than that, it's internet orders for me. I never make a specific trip there.

Both Keystones are my lhbs as well...(generally closer to Bethlehem on brew day and closer to Montgomeryville all other days :) )...nice folks, good selection and halfway decent prices for a lhbs. Though I buy more ingredients from online suppliers, I still go to Keystone for most everything else.

Hate to say it, but I just order off the internet. MoreBeer has been pretty good to me. I just make sure that my order is over 59 bucks. Delivered to the house.

My nearest HBS does not have a great selection of homebrew supplies or the freshest ingredients but it is close and it has the best selection of micro brews and imports I have seen.
A little further away is Leeners which is where I bought my starter kit and first couple ingredient kits. Decent selection and appears to be mostly fresh.
However just a little further is Grape and Granary which seems to have nearly everything and I have seen recommended by several people on home brew forums.
So yea I will drive by a close HBS for better selection and fresher ingredients.
Craig

My local HBS is about 45 minutes. I hate driving there but have for big orders to avoid shipping. It is not a store per say though, it is an ebusiness so it's just the guys house. I have ordered from him before and others but would love a local one because I know that if I do lots of business I can influence how the business is run. You have to listen to your customers.

When it comes to prices, you also have to consider fuel costs, just as you would include shipping for an eBis. I have many choices, as well, but 45-75 minutes out and 3-4 gallons of diesel for the trip.

Selection is another story.

david_42 said:
When it comes to prices, you also have to consider fuel costs, just as you would include shipping for an eBis. I have many choices, as well, but 45-75 minutes out and 3-4 gallons of diesel for the trip.

Selection is another story.

yeah that is true as well. I figured it still cost me less in fuel but the time cost really makes it suck so when I pick up it is a big order.

I am litteraly 4 blocks from my LHBS. Comes in very handy on brew day when I realize I forgot something and even more handy after the beer tasting they put on every month!

skeeordye11 said:
I am litteraly 4 blocks from my LHBS. Comes in very handy on brew day when I realize I forgot something and even more handy after the beer tasting they put on every month!

Yeah, rub it in, sucka...mines over an hour away. Screw that. I usually end up trying to score last-minute ingredients from a local brewmaster.

My lhbs is about 1/2 hour away. Their prices are right around morebeer's prices, some stuff is a bit more some a bit less. It's also run by the husband and wife that wrote Clonebrews and Beer Captured. With the prices being similar and the store being close by, I doubt I'll make many more online orders.

Back