Bourbon Oak Porter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E-Z

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Still relatively new to brewing, I'm only 5 batches in since the start of the year (only one that I consider 'ready to drink'). This board has been a life saver.
I've read plenty of threads on bourbon/oak porters and I'm looking to start one in the next few weeks with the hope that it will be ready by Thanksgiving/Christmas. I've seen opinions on both sides of this, but to get the tastiest brew, is it better to leave the beer (probably a robust porter) in a secondary on the bourbon and oak cubes longer...or would it be better to leave it to condition longer in the bottles?
To boil it down, if I have 6 months to age after fermentation, is it better to go 2 months on oak, then 4 in bottles or the reverse?

Thanks!
EZ

I've never made that particular beer but I suspect that 2 month on oak is way to long. A week or two on oak is usually good in my experience. Then maybe 3-4 weeks in the bottle and it should be ready to drink.

I made a RIS with bourbon soaked oak chips. I used 4 ounces of oak chips in secondary for 2 weeks. At the 6 month point in bottles the beer tasted like i was in the woods licking an oak tree. At the 10 month mark the beer has come into its own and oak has mellowed. From my experience I would not go over 2 weeks on the oak and would opt for longer bottle conditioning.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/question-oak-wood-chips-105682/

I made a RIS with bourbon soaked oak chips. I used 4 ounces of oak chips in secondary for 2 weeks. At the 6 month point in bottles the beer tasted like i was in the woods licking an oak tree. At the 10 month mark the beer has come into its own and oak has mellowed. From my experience I would not go over 2 weeks on the oak and would opt for longer bottle conditioning.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/question-oak-wood-chips-105682/

4 ounces is a lot of oak. I would not recommend using so much.

I've never made that particular beer but I suspect that 2 month on oak is way to long. A week or two on oak is usually good in my experience. Then maybe 3-4 weeks in the bottle and it should be ready to drink.

Contact time depends on whether you're using cubes or chips. I think cubes give a better flavor, I'd shoot for maybe 1.5-2oz for 6-8 weeks then bottle and let sit for another 3-4 months to let it all meld.

Good article:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/tips-wood-aging-119445/

I just made the Bourbon Barrel Porter from NB and it had oak cubes. I am leaving them in secondary for approximately 8 weeks. But i only did this 3 weeks ago, so I cannnot say how it will turn out. Serach Bourbon Barrel Porter and I am sure you will find the thread I started.

I did the Oaked Bourbon Barrel Porter from NB back in October.
I soaked the oak cubes in a pint of Makers Mark for 2 weeks then dumped all of it in secondary. I left it in secondary for another two weeks.
You dont want to leave it in Secondary for too long or you will get too much of the oak flavor. Mine has been in bottles for about 5 months now and is just starting to taste great. I think this beer benefits more time in the bottle as opposed to secondary!

That's what I wondered. I had heard on the brew strong podcast that the oak flavor starts to fade after it comes off the oak; have you found this to be true at all or is it just more of a mellowing?

My Oak Aged Bourbon Porter sits on the oak & bourbon for 8 months in secondary. I then age it 4 months in keg before serving. 13% ABV and is served in snifters. My last batch is almost 3 years old and the oak is just starting to fade.

Back