Imperial A24 Dry Hop Ale Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjfischr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with Imperial A24 yeast? Looks really interesting as it's a nice blend between a citrus-forward strain and Conan:

http://www.imperialyeast.com/yeast-strains/

A24 Dry Hop
Dry Hop is a blend of A20 Citrus and A04 Barbarian. When this blend goes to work on your hoppy beer, the hop aroma blows up. The combination of these strains produces amazing aromas of citrus, peach and apricot that will accentuate your IPA, pale ale, and any other hop driven beer.

Temp: 64-74F, 18-23C // Flocculation: medium // Attenuation: 74-78%

Was planning to re-pitch some San Diego Super Yeast for a black IPA this weekend, but I'm inclined to substitute with this as a big, fruity, aromatic black IPA could be a fun thing to try. Thoughts?

It sounds interesting. I haven't tried any from this company, but looks like they have some great choices. Will be interested in how yours turns out.

What is truly impressive is the fact that you get pitch-ready yeast without the need for a starter with cell counts capable of high-gravity brews. If the flavor profiles meet the descriptions, it could be a solid addition to any home brewery. I will let everyone know how the brew goes Saturday.

I like the company. I have used both Barbarian and Citrus separately. I enjoyed both. It has been many brews ago to remember anything specific. I say so for it!

Pitched into an IPA wort of 1.065 OG.
Minor activity at 12 hours; really rolling at 24 hours with pretty, cotton-like krausen. Hops at flameout were Amarillo, Mosaic, and Columbus. Really curious to see how this ends up.

I have used it once so far on a "session" IPA, it was great,1.052 down to 1.009 pretty quick was using up a bunch of leftover hops and it turned out way better than expected eureka, equinox, azacca, w/ a bit of Citra. Waiting for the homebrew store to get more.

also waiting for the feed back in the thread on the hybrid strain of Conan and 644.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=577066

I have used it once so far on a "session" IPA, it was great,1.052 down to 1.009 pretty quick was using up a bunch of leftover hops and it turned out way better than expected eureka, equinox, azacca, w/ a bit of Citra. Waiting for the homebrew store to get more.

also waiting for the feed back in the thread on the hybrid strain of Conan and 644.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=577066

82% attenuation? That's great!!!
What flavors came out in compliment to the hops?

My malt bill is designed simply to accentuate hop flavor:
80% Two Row Pilsner
8% flaked wheat
5% Crystal
7% dextrose

I have alway found 644 to be a beast, but results may vary.

Not really Tart as 644 by itself but maybe a little tart which helped to showcase more of the tropical/Citrus flavors in the hops.

Attenuation was 83%! Dropped from 1.065 to 1.010 in four days. Dry hopped with Mosaic and Galaxy for five days, and kegged last night.
Very smooth, juicy flavor despite being 7% ABV. Citrus at the edges of the flavor profile, but the stone fruit really comes through from the Galaxy and Mosaic.

I'm a traditional IPA guy, and prefer clarity, but up-and-comer Aslin Brewing is right by my office, so I've learned to love these fruity, juicy, low-floc strains.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1470781195.490343.jpg

Aslin in Herndon? I haven't been there yet. I'll have to check it out. Have you been to Ocelot? Great IPAs out there, not hazy but still great.

Yours looks great too, btw. I was checking out the Imperial line last time I was at the LHBS. I'll have to give them a go.

Ocelot and Aslin and great for different reasons. Aslin is one of a handful of Mid-Atlantic breweries which make mostly New England style IPAs-indeed the outcome manus are trying to achieve with this yeast.

Aslin in Herndon? I haven't been there yet. I'll have to check it out. Have you been to Ocelot? Great IPAs out there, not hazy but still great.

Yours looks great too, btw. I was checking out the Imperial line last time I was at the LHBS. I'll have to give them a go.

Did you wind up using the dry hop blend in a black IPA? I've been curious about A20 citrus in a dark beer, but I'm afraid to lose 5 gallons to weird flavors.

Did you wind up using the dry hop blend in a black IPA? I've been curious about A20 citrus in a dark beer, but I'm afraid to lose 5 gallons to weird flavors.

I think that would work really well! You just reminded me that I haven't brewed a black IPA in ages, and now I want to do one with one of Imperial's fruity strains. You'll never know if you don't try!

I wusses out for the moment. I'm deciding on a house strain, so I want to see what A20 can do with an American blond ale. 4.8%, restrained use of flavorful hops (comet, centennial, and Crystal). Mash at 154. Ferment at 67F

Besides, my slurry is about a month old so it needs a bit of a ramp up. Grow it in a starter, pitch it into the blonde ale, and then harvest, wash, grow, and pitch into the Double Black IPA

What I like about the yeast is I can get good ABV on lower amounts of malt due to the attention.

I used the A24 strain in my version of Moops Sunny D recipe. One of the fruitiest brews i have ever made without any actual fruit added. Also have used their barbarian strain in a couple SmasH brews and they were great.

Attenuation was 83%! Dropped from 1.065 to 1.010 in four days. Dry hopped with Mosaic and Galaxy for five days, and kegged last night.
Very smooth, juicy flavor despite being 7% ABV. Citrus at the edges of the flavor profile, but the stone fruit really comes through from the Galaxy and Mosaic.

I'm a traditional IPA guy, and prefer clarity, but up-and-comer Aslin Brewing is right by my office, so I've learned to love these fruity, juicy, low-floc strains.
View attachment 365642

Looking good... I just bottled a cascade IPA with golden promise and oats with the A24. I ended up with 88% attenuation! 1.068 down to 1.009. Samples taste amazingly fruity

i am about to make a blond ale with this stuff. going with a simple beer 50/50 Utah grown 2 row (this is new and i am excited to brew with it) and German pilsner i am using palisades for my hops hopefully it turns out.

i plan to ferment on the higher end so i don't have to deal with my temps.

For anyone who has used this, did it require a blowoff? Planning to make an IPA that has some table sugar added, so I'm worried it'll blow the top off of my bucket if I get the attenuation folks seem to be advertising. Normally I can't get any of my beers down below 1.016 or so....

For anyone who has used this, did it require a blowoff? Planning to make an IPA that has some table sugar added, so I'm worried it'll blow the top off of my bucket if I get the attenuation folks seem to be advertising. Normally I can't get any of my beers down below 1.016 or so....
i'm just finishing up my A24 batch (will be cold-crashing tomorrow) and it did not require a blowoff. everything stayed inside the fermentor.

this was a split batch. while the 5.5 gallons of A24 behaved just fine, the second half with A38 Juice (AKA their 1318) made a mess. Imperial warns you of this, so my bad for not starting out with a blowoff...

I'm 4 days into fermentation and did not need a blow-off. I had about 1.5" deep krausen (in a 7 gallon Fermonster) at the peak fermenting at 64F (bottom end of recommended temp rang) It's time to start upping my temp to 70F over the next three days, and then hold for a few more

I tasted the gravity sample and it was quite tasty, even with the yeast so active. Almost like a glass of freshly squeezed California orange juice

Back