1st Batch questions from new brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtymartini

Reaction score
Of couse my first batch didn't go smoothly! I racked the wort from my brew pot to my 6.5 gallon carboy,then realized they hadn't given me a rubber stopper! I poured the wort from the carboy to my 6.5 gallon bottling bucket and let it ferment there. It bubbled like mad the first 24 hrs then slowed down. Knowing I would need my bottling bucket, someone told me it would be okay to rack back into the carboy today(5 days into fermentation) I checked the Specific Gravity and it was 1.128 and FG is supposed to be 1.008 to 1.016.
Did I screw this up or will I be okay???????

orfy said:
At 1.128 it sounds like you din't put enough water in.
What are you making.

1035 -1065 is more like it for a standard beer.

Orfy,

Thanks for the reply. Actually, that was one of my concerns. I think when I put the wort in the fermenter I was 1/2 gallon short. Can I add more now or should I leave it alone? I have a 6.5 gallon carboy and I'm not sure where the 5 gallon mark should be. I am making a California Imperial Ale...It's supposed to be close to Arrogant Bastard Ale if you are familiar with that.

When all of your containers are empty pour water into one at 1 gal at a time.

Mark each gal up to 4.5 then mark every .5 gal to 6.5 (just in case...). Use duct tape, or whatever - I use red nail polish - that's the only time you'll ever hear me admit to that so don't get excited...(yes, I am talking to you Cheese!!:D )

You can save water by re-filling you gallon containers via an autosypohn (highly recommended piece of equipment).

Remember to adjust your gravity reading IAW the temp.:D

I think it's more likely that you misread the hydrometer, or that the hydrometer was not floating..

FWIW, my 6.5 g carboys get filled to 12.75 inches (measured from the floor) which gives me 5.25 g in the carboy.

-a.

Even if your water was less than it should have been, there is still no way you should have a hydrometer reading of 1.128. I'd read it again, and make sure it's floating freely. I don't even think my hydrometer goes up that high. After 5 days fermentation, I would think 1.028 would be more like it.

Check it again- I think you misread it the first time.

Lorena

You need to do something, if you've read the gravity right the your yeast will probably get pissed and die.

Are you on extract? 20% less water will not get you upto over 100% extra gravity. Somethings wrong somewhere.

orfy said:
You need to do something, if you've read the gravity right the your yeast will probably get pissed and die.

Are you on extract? 20% less water will not get you upto over 100% extra gravity. Somethings wrong somewhere.

You are right, it was actually 1.028 Am I okay?

Yes, if your still fermenting even at a slow rate you may even go lower with your FG but probably not lower than 1.015?:)

Yes, that's more like it! It's actually a bit high to move into secondary, but as long as it keeps on fermenting, you'll be fine. If it's still bubbling a bit, you're doing great.

Lorena

lorenae said:
Yes, that's more like it! It's actually a bit high to move into secondary, but as long as it keeps on fermenting, you'll be fine. If it's still bubbling a bit, you're doing great.

Lorena

There doesn't seem to be any bubbling action now...What should I do now?

OK...A couple of more questions....and thanks for all the replies, you have been a big help getting me through my first batch.

It seems to be done fermenting, I have been watching it all morning and haven't seen any bubbles, can I go ahead and bottle?

Since I am a little short on volume, can I make up the water when I add the priming sugar? I am probably 1/2 gallon short.

I would NOT bottle yet. 1.028 is still very high, and you're only six days into the fermentation. Since you've put it in the carboy now, you can let it sit and condition for a while. I'd leave it in there for at least another week before bottling, otherwise you face bottle bombs, which are not fun.

Torchiest said:
I would NOT bottle yet. 1.028 is still very high, and you're only six days into the fermentation. Since you've put it in the carboy now, you can let it sit and condition for a while. I'd leave it in there for at least another week before bottling, otherwise you face bottle bombs, which are not fun.

Thanks....What about adding water? I am probably at 4.5 gallons when I should be at 5

I wouldn't add water- you'll be watering down your beer. Taste it- see how it tastes. It should taste good, like beer (but of course, flat). Do you really want to water it down?

The thing to do now is nothing! Leave it alone. Next time, leave it in primary for at least a week before racking it or transferring it. Now, just sit and wait. In a week or so, check the s.g. and see if it's done. Then you can decide if it's time to bottle.

The waiting is definitely the hardest part!

Lorena

lorenae said:
I wouldn't add water- you'll be watering down your beer. Taste it- see how it tastes. It should taste good, like beer (but of course, flat). Do you really want to water it down?

The thing to do now is nothing! Leave it alone. Next time, leave it in primary for at least a week before racking it or transferring it. Now, just sit and wait. In a week or so, check the s.g. and see if it's done. Then you can decide if it's time to bottle.

The waiting is definitely the hardest part!

Lorena

Thanks. I did taste it when I checked the SG and it did taste like beer! It smelled like beer too with no unusual odors. This waiting is killing me...I just might have to start another batch! It won't be so bad after I'm able to sample the first batch....Thanks for all the help.

Back