So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made my first yeast starter for my yeast bank. Did a white labs WLP 300 with 2.5L starter and jesus its been crashing for about 12 hours and its a boatload of yeast at the bottom. First of many I hope.

Making 4.2 gallons of Doppelbock to be fermented under 13psi that will become Eisbock. It will not be ready until 2021. OG=1.091 and shooting for FG=1.022 with a goal of 9.9% using WLP830. Required just shy of 21 pounds of grain. IBU and SRM both 25. Magnum and Hallertau Mittelfruh with IBU:OG=0.275 (only 1.14oz for bittering; 0.3oz for aroma). Should have dark fruit and raisin, chocolate, some toasty aroma and light caramel. A slight tweak to my previous Doppelbock -> Eisbock. Very dangerous as the ABV is hidden nicely without being cloying.
I've read so much about this beer but never had an opportunity to drink it. Hope this turns out well. I need to brew it too, it's on my to do list now.

Made 5 gallons of oatmeal brown yesterday.

Did a no chill, put it in the chamber, and pitched this morning.

I now officially have no more room to brew anything until I start drinking more.
I've got the same problem; 3 almost-full kegs in the kegerator, one beer ready to keg, and another one in the ferment fridge. Wanted to brew next weekend when my latest hop order gets here but being noble and holding off...for now.

Not the weekend, but I'm brewing a chocolate oatmeal stout, inspired by the deliciousness of McVitie's dark chocolate hobnobs.

IMG_20200610_060211969_HDR.jpg

Mashing a tripel in my underwear. Admiral is on alert for rabbits.

Starting 4.2 gallons of another Doppelbock for Eisbock. A repeat of last weekend, but using WLP838 vs last week's WLP820 (I thought I had spun up WLP830). There are also some other subtle tweaks to water chemistry, IBU:OG rebalanced, and slight change of grain ratios. Call me stupid, but I'm starting the process at 1AM and should be done before noon - including cleaning, etc. I have to be at work really early Sunday and need to skew my sleep - this will help. The doppelbock should be ready for condensing around Sep/Oct and then lagering the Eisbock some more (even years). The potential number of Doppelbock bottles from both batches is only 80; after condensing it is likely closer to 60 to 64. Hopefully I can open a few young ones for Thanksgiving.

I was going to brew a sour spontaneous British brown ale but I need a couple days of sun in a row to have more chances at catching some bugs, so for now it will have to wait until Monday

Last time I tried a spontaneous fermentation, it started to rain during the end of the boil and kept raining till the next day, I did catch nothing, but absolutely nothing hahahaha let's see if I'm more lucky this time as I know there is some good yeast in my garden

Later this morning my wife is going to try brewing her first beer. I'll be advising. It'll just be an in-kitchen one gallon batch to get her feet wet. She'll be brewing a coffee imperial stout that she'll bottle and we'll put away until Christmas. She's aiming for a 10% beer, which is bigger than anything I've ever brewed before, so I'll be interested in what kind of efficiency we (she) get.

Later this morning my wife is going to try brewing her first beer. I'll be advising. It'll just be an in-kitchen one gallon batch to get her feet wet. She'll be brewing a coffee imperial stout that she'll bottle and we'll put away until Christmas. She's aiming for a 10% beer, which is bigger than anything I've ever brewed before, so I'll be interested in what kind of efficiency we (she) get.
What yeast is planned?

Brew day and clean up done. Celebratory beer finished.
She was shooting for an OG of 1.099 and it came in at 1.094. Not bad for a first timer. The hydrometer sample tasted amazing. Going to throw a couple massive rib eyes on the grill to continue the celebration. I think I may have created a monster.

She was shooting for an OG of 1.099 and it came in at 1.094. Not bad for a first timer. The hydrometer sample tasted amazing. Going to throw a couple massive rib eyes on the grill to continue the celebration. I think I may have created a monster.
You are a lucky man! My husband made noises a few months back about wanting to do his own brew, but after 15 years of marriage I'm worried he doesn't have the patience for it. I may still get him to do one the next time my brew crew have a group brewday (that's what started him thinking about it), just a simple partial mash of something he likes. He's the kind of person that gets discouraged really quick if something doesn't work out the way it should. He's perfectly happy watching me on a brewday though, and makes a point of coming out to the garage during the boil to take a big whiff of boiling deliciousness.

For the very first time in my brewing career, I have way too much beer; three on tap with plenty left, a lager that needs to get kegged, and a Strong that needs to come out for some aging. So I don't really NEED to brew, but I WANT to. So since I got some Galaxy and Citra from YVH the other day, I'm going to do an IPA with those, hitting heavy late and dry hop. And I'll do it on the Kveiking yeast I have; the first IPA I did with it is almost two weeks old now, and still deliciously fresh, hazy, and juicy. Think I found my new IPA yeast.

You are a lucky man! My husband made noises a few months back about wanting to do his own brew, but after 15 years of marriage I'm worried he doesn't have the patience for it. I may still get him to do one the next time my brew crew have a group brewday (that's what started him thinking about it), just a simple partial mash of something he likes. He's the kind of person that gets discouraged really quick if something doesn't work out the way it should. He's perfectly happy watching me on a brewday though, and makes a point of coming out to the garage during the boil to take a big whiff of boiling deliciousness.
I know, right? I jokingly asked her if she'd like to try brewing a beer and to my surprise she jumped at the chance. 42 years of marriage and I'm still surprised.

Pretty soon you’ll be shopping for her pink boots! 😀

I pitched the yeast about the time the board crashed. Beersmith predicted .048.
View attachment 684837

Have you checked your hydrometer? I just got a tilt and thought it was off but check my hydrometer and found it off by four points and the tilt was spot on.

Either way that looks tasty and I'm sure will be a hell of a beer.

Have you checked your hydrometer? I just got a tilt and thought it was off but check my hydrometer and found it off by four points and the tilt was spot on.

Either way that looks tasty and I'm sure will be a hell of a beer.
I have two of them; both read .000 in 60°F distilled water.

I use Beersmith mostly for building recipes. I do enter my numbers for each batch, but I’ve never changed my estimated efficiency from the default, which is 72%. I’m usually closer to 80%. This batch came out at 79.25.

Massive amount of work this weekend. Earlier reported starting a 4.2 gallon Doppelbock at 1am Sat morning - pitching the WLP838 yeast today. Also started making Korean rice wine (makgeolli) that is in a ~6.5 gallon glass carboy using EC-1118 yeast with nuruk and chinese yeast balls. Then before going to bed last night, I decided to make a Purple Ginger Beer (actually just dextrose and maltodextrose - no malt grain) that should be 5.0% and a brilliant blue/purple from natural plant based dyes.

I brewed a New Glarus Spotted Cow Cream Ale on Saturday (I haven't brewed since March. I'll admit working at home has made me extremely lazy.)

47.5% Viking Pale Malt
17.8% Flaked maize
17.8% Pilsner malt
6% Flaked barley
5.5% Crystal 20L
5.5% Munich II (Dark 9L)
9.4 IBUs Northern Brewer at 60 minutes.
4.9 IBUs Saaz at 30 minutes

Wyeast 1056.

Hit all my expected numbers. BeerSmith calculates 93% mash efficiency and 81.4% overall brewhouse efficiency.

Sunday. Check conical and airlock is bubbling away.

Last edited:
She was shooting for an OG of 1.099 and it came in at 1.094. Not bad for a first timer. The hydrometer sample tasted amazing.

My wife ended up pitching the yeast around 8pm last night. I woke up this morning about 6:30 to the airlock chugging away. By 8:30 it blew through the airlock and for my first time ever I had to rig up a blowoff.

20200614_140144.jpeg

My wife ended up pitching the yeast around 8pm last night. I woke up this morning about 6:30 to the airlock chugging away. By 8:30 it blew through the airlock and for my first time ever I had to rig up a blowoff.

View attachment 684940

Wow. That's amazing for a first timer. Congrats!

Brewed a nice, low ABV session NEIPA. A PsuedoSue clone with Sabro. I will call it PsuedoSabro :).
My efficiency is up due to my new grain mill..so it might not be so sessionable. A good problem to have.

2nd time around with the Kveiking yeast; pitched at 9:45 this morning, and at 2pm have a nice high krausen. This one didn't start off as warm as the last one (80 compared to 95+) so it might not flocc out as well. Must admit I'm still chicken to pitch yeast at that high of a temperature even though I know it will be fine. Hit my numbers otherwise, and it will be beer.

Back