SS Pot discoloration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snail

Reaction score
Does anyone have a discoloration on the bottom, inside of their pot? Mine looks kind of bluish, rainbowish depending on the angle you hold it. Is it anything to be worried about? Or is it something like breaking it in because it was brand new?

Usually the metal will discolor if you heat it without any liquid in it. Cleaning it with some Barkeepers Friend will help keep it in good condition.

It is probably fine.

Something similar happened after my fist brew in a 15 gal kettle from ssbrewtech. (Photo attached)
I'm guessing it has something to do with high heat, since the pot was fairly full during use. However, I'm not sure if there's a remedy or whether I should be concerned.

image.jpg

That's weird, that kind of colorful pattern is something I'd only expect with a dry-fired kettle.

Get some Bar Keeper's Friend, a stuff sponge, and a bit of water, and see what happens when you give that a good scrubbing...

Cheers!

[edit] lol! Just reviewed the thread. What's old is new again, as always ;)

It won't clean off, but it also isn't a contamination. Brew on without concern. It's called "temper coloration" and is an indicator of the stainless being heated to a given temperature before it was quenched (cooled). Don't feel the need to read the whole article, but the picture at the very top of the article summarizes the colors and corresponding temperatures.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempering_(metallurgy)

Ah, a pleasant throwback to my former life...

Scrub it with Bar Keepers Friend and it'll shine like new. Nothing irreversible as been done. Kettles heated by flame will do this.

Back